GARY'S SMOKED BAKED BEANS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Makes you feel good when everybody loves what you make. I smoke and cook so much the family is used to it.

Here is a funny story for you.

One of my Grandsons best friends, who he spent a fair amount of time at there house, I sent over some ribs, brisket and beans.

Grandson was in the other room with his friend and he heard them call his name loud, (he thought he had done something wrong) When he came 

into where they were they said :WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US YOUR GRANDPA COULD COOK LIKE THIS" he said never thought about we eat this stuff all the time.

Gary

Reactions: thebig1
I enjoy cooking for others, when I load up the smoker I end up giving most of it away. "But I do keep a little for me"

Gary

Gonna make some of these next weekend Gary ! Gotta chicken I'm gonna put in Pop's brine Wed. nite to go with them ! Can't wait to try them beans ! Thanks again for sharing your recipe !

Glad to share anything I make or smoke

Gary

Not sure if this has been mentioned, I haven't read this entire thread but I wanted to let everyone know something.

When putting this amazing dish together make sure that you're using COURSE GROUND PEPPER and NOT regular ground pepper.

I really like a heavy dose of pepper, but using regular ground pepper was just a little much for everyone else.

Other than that, as you were.

Blue smoke and crusty skins fellas.

Yep, That's what I said in the recipe. But glad you brought it up. Just something about course ground that makes it work better. In fact that;s all we use at out house, no one likes that fine ground stuff.

Gary

Another thing that I noticed about these beans, which was learned on Sunday, is that they're absolutely amazing when done one the smoker and only great when they're done in the stove.  I did a 9lb butt and a 7lb rack of ribs and didn't have any room for them on the smoker so I had to do them in the oven and they just weren't the same.

Told the wife that I need a bigger smoker.  She told me that maybe in 10 years when I turn 50 I can get one.
th_violent5.gif

Turning 40 seems good enough reason to get one!  Great looking beans Gary, do you ever make them from dry pintos?

grilling_smilie.gif

Gary, GREAT recipe! made a batch of these this morning for the people in the office where I work and they loved them! I think I will be making another batch this weekend for my self!!

They are amazing aren't they?!

We fell in love with these beans immediately. The only problem that I ran into is that some like the spice of the jalapeños and some don't. So after trying Dutch's beans I added one thing to Gary's beans, a 16oz can of pineapple. Everyone is loving them even more now and I only have to make them one way for everyone to be happy.

They are amazing aren't they?!

We fell in love with these beans immediately. The only problem that I ran into is that some like the spice of the jalapeños and some don't. So after trying Dutch's beans I added one thing to Gary's beans, a 16oz can of pineapple. Everyone is loving them even more now and I only have to make them one way for everyone to be happy.
Sure glad you like em,  I like Dutch's been also and Sometimes I add pineapple, (I like it) but some of the kids and grandkids don't care for pineapple. So I will make both every once in a while.

Gary

A Bump for Johnny B

Gary

Thanks so much.. I missed all the good stuff here over the years.. I never got interested in smoking till the last year or 2.

Thanks again for the bump! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Glad to share anything I make or smoke

Gary
Finally joined the forum the other day and noticed your recipe. I will be using it Labor Day weekend for my daughter's birthday party, cough cough Football opening weekend party.  I did have one question, as a second side paired with probably Mac & Cheese, how many people do you think the original recipe will feed? I'm predicting between 50-100 people to be there and want to make sure I have enough to go around.

Also, for all of you people that love Tony's, they are like a blast from the past now! Not many people in LA still use them, too much salt is usually the consensus. If you're ever in LA and can get your hands on some Leblanc's BBQ or Leblanc's Guns-N-Roses BBQ seasonings then you will have something. I even use the BBQ seasoning in my jambalaya a lot of times. Thanks again to Gary for sharing his recipe. I've had a Cheyenne offset, but going pick up a Lone Star Grillz on Monday and hope to start smoking a lot more often than I do now and maybe even contribute some recipes. Right now my recipe contribution would have to come from a black iron pot! 

Finally joined the forum the other day and noticed your recipe. I will be using it Labor Day weekend for my daughter's birthday party, cough cough Football opening weekend party. I did have one question, as a second side paired with probably Mac & Cheese, how many people do you think the original recipe will feed? I'm predicting between 50-100 people to be there and want to make sure I have enough to go around.

Also, for all of you people that love Tony's, they are like a blast from the past now! Not many people in LA still use them, too much salt is usually the consensus. If you're ever in LA and can get your hands on some Leblanc's BBQ or Leblanc's Guns-N-Roses BBQ seasonings then you will have something. I even use the BBQ seasoning in my jambalaya a lot of times. Thanks again to Gary for sharing his recipe. I've had a Cheyenne offset, but going pick up a Lone Star Grillz on Monday and hope to start smoking a lot more often than I do now and maybe even contribute some recipes. Right now my recipe contribution would have to come from a black iron pot! 
It sounded like everyone in some other posts liked his recipe. so I had him bump it for me a few weeks ago. [emoji]128556[/emoji]

Last edited:
Gary, made these for a family party last weekend & they were a big hit! The only other addition I made was I smoked up some BB's & added some cubed up rib meat! Great recipe my friend, appreciate ya sharing! Thumbs Up

Gary, made these for a family party last weekend & they were a big hit! The only other addition I made was I smoked up some BB's & added some cubed up rib meat! Great recipe my friend, appreciate ya sharing!
icon14.gif
Hey Thanks. I should have added "throw in a little Pulled pork, Brisket or Rib Meat and it kicks it up another notch.

Mmmm  Good..   Glad you liked it

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky