GARY'S SMOKED BAKED BEANS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally Posted by TheBig1  

I do have a question though.  Reading through other threads I saw "Gary's BBQ Sauce" mentioned.  The thread said that your sauce, or another Gary's sauce, was REALLY good.  So I was wondering if you may have previously posted a recipe for a special sauce or if it were a secret recipe shared between only close BBQ Brothers?
For this recipe, I used Sweet Baby Rays. Anything "stronger" would be too spicy, because this recipe does have a little bit of "kick," even if you dial back some of the spices.

For other things, I absolutely love Jeff's "Goodness Gracious Sakes Alive" Barbecue Sauce Recipe. I bought the recipe, along with the recipe for his two rubs, and it was some of the best money I've ever spent.

I would not use Jeff's BBQ sauce for these beans, however, because it has a kick of its own, and I think the result would be a little too spicy hot.

Gary

I'm a most of the time Tony's person myself and like you I use kosher salt and cracked black pepper. But on one threat I saw that eman had post the original recipe for Tony's I think he said he know Tony.

We are having a graduation party for my grandson in a couple weeks and planning on giving your beans a whirl.

Warren

Gary

I'm a most of the time Tony's person myself and like you I use kosher salt and cracked black pepper. But on one threat I saw that eman had post the original recipe for Tony's I think he said he know Tony.

We are having a graduation party for my grandson in a couple weeks and planning on giving your beans a whirl.

Warren
Cool !!   Two years ago that was what my grandson asked for along with Ribs, Brisket, pulled pork and a bunch of sides  We fed quite a few.

Gary

Beans were great Gary! They didn't have the big cans of pork n beans. I just used Bush's baked beans and omitted the brown sugar, thinking they're sweeter than the pork n beans. Will definitely make again!

Thank's Xray, I thought I was looking at my Beans !!!

Gary

OK, here's an idea for you Gary's Beans lovers.

I didn't have time for the smoker, but I really wanted some beans to eat with some hand-made sausages that I'd previously smoked and then vacuum packed to store for eating another day. Dinner was just the wife and me.

So, I asked myself, could I take my smaller version of Gary's recipe   that I posted earlier in this thread, cut that down even more, so it is just one can of beans, microwave it to get it almost boiling, and then cook it at 325 in the oven for half an hour?

But what about the smoke?

Well, I don't know if I'm allowed to say this in these forums, but I decided to use a tiny bit (1/4 teaspoon) of liquid smoke.

The results?

Pretty darned good !!

I also slightly reduced the amount of Sweet Baby Ray's and didn't put in as much brown sugar because, with only 1/2 hour of cooking instead of 3-4 hours, too much liquid would make the result "soupy," and too much sugar, when starting with Bush baked beans, would be too sweet (someone else already mentioned that).

So if you are addicted to this recipe like I am, this is a way to feed your habit when you need a quick fix.

I'd say these are least 80% as good as the authentic product.

Last edited:
Glad I could help and that everyone enjoyed them

Gary

Your bean recipe was one of the first I used from this site, Gary. I alternate it now with Dutch's, because both are great...
Dan
Thanks Dan, I like Dutch's too

Gary

Your beans always look real good, Gary.  I haven't tried them yet, but I sure plan to.  I'll just have to cut the recipe down somewhat--that's a little much for just the 2 of us.   
thumb1.gif

Gary

Your beans always look real good, Gary.  I haven't tried them yet, but I sure plan to.  I'll just have to cut the recipe down somewhat--that's a little much for just the 2 of us.   
thumb1.gif

Gary
Yep, If I'm not cooking for a crowd I just make a small batch.

We just have them as a side dish a few days and I use them with work lunches. They go faster than you think :-)

I'll second that. Made a full batch and ate them with dinner. The next day we had them with burgers. I put two freezer containers into the freezer but have a sneaky suspicion that I'll be taking both out within the next week.

I'll never make less than a full batch. In my house it doesn't pay to do so.

Chad

yahoo.gif
Another find job by Gary. I didn't do q-view but your beans turned out fantastic I did 4 racks ribs (full size) 10 lb sirloin tip roast and the hit of the day Gary's bake beans. Looks like these will always be on the menu. Thanks Gary keep the good recipes coming. Had a great graduation party for grandson.

Warren

Thanks Warren, glad you enjoyed them

Gary 

Wow can you believe it's already 4th July!!!  And yep it's Gary's Bake Beans on the menu. Glad you posted these Gary. 
first.gif

Warren

I'm making another batch of your world famous beans today Gary. They, along with your sauce, has instantly become family favorites.

As a matter of fact I've already run through an entire batch of sauce. Between the family and then friends asking for a jar I have to make more.

As always, I can't thank you enough.

Chad

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky