Frozen Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scotty's bbq

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Has anyone ever smoked whole chicken for the purpose of freezing them for later?

My family loves smoked chicken, but the only time we can do them is on the weekend which just isn't enough for them. My wife wants me to freeze some so she can later thaw one out and warm up in the oven.

Your thoughts...

Thanks!!

I use my food sealer for freezing my chicken for later. I can reheat it in the bag although it is not crispy. When I reheat them at home I will place them on the gas grill for a bit to crisp them up once they are reheated it is just as good as they are fresh off of the smoker

Scotty

I freeze alot of stuff I smoke like Cheech said just give them a quick crispin' o he grill or in the oven before you eat them and there as good as new!

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to smoke several chickens this weekend, then we can have it anytime!

Again as always...the best smoking meat info on the net!!!

Well I dont know about everyone else but to me the food tastes better the next day after cooking it. I think the smoke flavor sets in better or maybe its because after smelling smoke for so long Im not able to taste the results. I havent had any complaints from anybody but they dont set at the smoker like I do.

i agree, all the stuff that comes out of the smoker tastes better the next day...

its like when you make a pot of chili or stew, it always tastes better the next day, all the flavors combine more

Have five left out of seven afriend of mine and I smoked, heat up great and the taste is perfect. Used one about a week ago to make a cream cheese dip, very good!! So freeze away.

Big DITTO on that one!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Mmmmmm! ... I like to take leftover smoked chicken that I have separated from skin and bone and thawed, chopped and turned into a chicken salad, made with Mayo, onions and finely minced celery ... makes a great sammie ...

Oh man had i known this last weekend i would have smoked both chickewns i bought. Costco is a great buy on whole chickens and they come in two packs. Our first ever smoked chicken was the other day and we loved it. I could have just smoked both at once.

One question though...doesnt a frozen bird still take a few hours to thaw and warm up? It still might be a tough thing for a weeknight meal.

I would have cut the leftover bird up into more manageable pieces and zip locked and just thaw what you need.
Last week I did a bunch of thighs (our fave) skinned and deboned the meat. A few days later chopped it up and made smoky chicken salad ... yummm!

Thanks for all the great info!!! Last weekend I smoked some bone-in chicken breasts, chicken thighs, & a whole chicken. We devoured the whole chicken...froze the remaining pieces. Can't wait to get those thawed out and heated up!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky