from the Islands

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

guambbq

Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Getting my concession trailer set up and I am adding a cookshack electric smoker. Never cooked with a smoker but have been in the restaurant and short order business for a while. Looking forward to all the suggestions. No one has a smoke/BBQ business on Guam but home BBQ is everywhere.

Welcome to SMF. Glad you joined us. Take a look around, read up and ask questions. You'll be smoking great food in no time. How about some pics of your setup?

Looking forward to the tips and tricks on smoking. Iam trying to be a vendor on base with having to service maybe 3 locations a day. Guam has some good island taste but not many slow cook/smoke. Hoping to be busy from day one just need some practice LOL ...

Welcome guam, good luck with the concession setup.
One suggestion I have would be to come up with some GREAT BBQ that is sort of familiar to local folks favorite dishes and make them even more special.
A dish that everyone loves, figure out how to add some smoke, and a little love.
How about some fresh local ingredients rolled up inside a fattie?
Attempt a BBQ sauce with some local fruits and flavors, smoke local meats but add "out of the ordinary" and hard to find spices. Internet ordering is great for finding specialty ingredients many people can't find, so a little goodness mixed with a little taste of home is always a hit.
Wish you success.

Also, it would be a great idea to take Jeffs 5-day smoking e-course, you will learn tons of great info about smoking.

You hit the nail on the head with fresh local produce and ingredients. I just noticed the smoking class I will look into that thanks for the info.

Theres alot of good info and experienced advice here on smf. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Someone is usually along shrotly to lend a hand. Good luck with the bbq. Can't wait to see some qview.

Jason

Welcome to the forum. Just curious, what kind of wood will you use for smoking?

Welcome aboard! We all love Qview here, what type of wood do you have for use on Guam?

All of you are a great help. a home depot opened about a year ago and they carry a hickoryor mesquite otherwise I would hve to order from the states maybe from cookshack or another vendor. On guam we have a wood that most use for BBQ but not much flavor just smoke.

Welcome to SMF. Cant wait to see pics of your rig.

Welcome guam! Good to hear from someone so far away, yet loving the same stuff. Hang around and join in when you feel like it!

Had the pleasure of welcoming someone from the UK and now someone from Guam, all in the same week. That is a great thing, not only for smoking but for the site as well. Worldwide TBS! Oh yeahhh!

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Best of luck in your new biz, are you native to Guam?
Small Biz's are hard to make work, stay consistant, with excellent products, and you will do okay!

Don

I am originally from Colorado. My target for the concession trailer is the military base. They don't have anyone servicing the base. Also as far as I know no one is smoking meat at all. Brisket is non existant as well as pulled pork sandwiches. I wll be going to the radio stations with food to hopefully push the flavor and get free advertising for catering on weekends. I will be practing alot once I am ready. I was going to try the rub that is recommended on the site and maybe look for others if any suggestions.

thanks

Thanks looking forward to meeting more people and gaining mor knowledge

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky