Frigid Alaska

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alaskanbear

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 24, 2011
Winnsboro, Texas
Well, just so you know, I have not been ignoring this fine forum.  Its just been too dam cold to try and manage any sort of smoking in these temps.  Hope ye all understand!!

4128a0a4_SNV30853.jpg

Rich

Geez you guys are having a bit of a cold snap. We have been luck around here as it has been seasonably warm this year. But don't worry I will be getting those same temps here sooner then I care for I'm sure.

Damn, thats Cold!!  It'd be tough to keep a temp in even an insulated smoker when its that cold.

I was smoking with my smoke shack two winters ago  when it was just a touch colder then that and I was struggling to keep the temps up. It wasn't that my smoker wasn't insulated good enough it was because the propane was freezing in my tank. Well the propane wasn't actually freezing what happens when it gets that cold the tank only puts out a small amount of pressure. I did a bunch of reading on it and it's pretty cool what happens  when propane gets that cold. I had to keep shaking my tank to keep the flaming going good. Stay warm my friend.

They mentioned on the Kalamazoo , MI  tv station the other day that somewhere in Alaska (I forgot what city they said ) had broke the record for coldest temperature on that day . It was 41 below , the previous coldest on that day was 40 below .  I don't mind when it gets to 10 or 20 above around here but anything below that and then I feel like it's getting cold . I did do some smoking in my masterbuilt (which is in my garage ) I don't remember if it was last winter or the year before and it was 1 below in my garage .

Always wanted to go to Alaska, but after seeing temps like that

I guess that shoots it in the ass. Ain't no way I could live in cold like that.

I feel your pain.

Keep Warm

Mike

-35˚ Below Zero !!!!   Yikes !!!!

That's about 23˚ lower than I have ever seen here!!!

Went Bear hunting one time, in -12˚. If I would have seen a bear, I would have had to get the bear to take my safety off---My fingers were frozen!!!

Please Keep it up there Brother Bear !!!

Bear

That's about 23˚ lower than I have ever seen here!!!

Went Bear hunting one time, in -12˚. If I would have seen a bear, I would have had to get the bear to take my safety off---My fingers were frozen!!!
Coldest winter in my memory in NE Oklahoma was last winter when the coldest it got was around 10-12 below zero.  I remember whinin' about how miserably cold it was.  Rich's pic kinda puts things in perspective...and it's only November!!  Gotta get colder in Jan and Feb, right?

I was smoking with my smoke shack two winters ago  when it was just a touch colder then that and I was struggling to keep the temps up. It wasn't that my smoker wasn't insulated good enough it was because the propane was freezing in my tank. Well the propane wasn't actually freezing what happens when it gets that cold the tank only puts out a small amount of pressure. I did a bunch of reading on it and it's pretty cool what happens  when propane gets that cold. I had to keep shaking my tank to keep the flaming going good. Stay warm my friend.
I think if it ever gets to 35 below where I live, the first thing I'm gonna do is put my smokers up til the cold breaks.  The second thing I'm gonna do is move!!
icon_eek.gif
  Lotsa respect to you guys tough enough to survive in such harsh climates.

Last edited:
Holy Moly! -35°!  The very sound of that makes my teeth hurt. It can get pretty darned cold around here in January and February, too. But I can't say as I can remember -35°. I've tried to smoke in a gasser when it was well below zero, and had the propane liquify in the tank a time or two, myself. When propane liquifies, it just ain't gonna flow.

But heck, Rich, bein' one of them hardy Alaskan types, probably does a little sunbathin' when the temps get balmy like that.
icon_wink.gif

ShortEnd

The temp drop from 81 to 65 in just over an hour as a COLD front came throw today. After see this I feel like a fool wearing jeans and a sweet shirt.

I think your Thermometer isnt working LOL.

Keep that stuff up there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky