First try at jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scubadoo97

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Florida
I got the jerky bug last week and so planned to make some jerky this weekend. I read a few recipes on line and searched the pages here.

I started with a bottom round roast. I removed as much fat as possible from the outside then went about cutting it into strips. Started at ~ 1/4 inch thick but that seemed too thick so cut it back a tad. Some slices ran a little over 1/4 inch. In my search for curing salt I came up empty. Since I had not seen curing on any recipe except the ones I read here I felt I would take a chance and throw caution to the wind. I knew from the readings here I would be smoking at a higher heat on my MES so I was confident that I would hit 140 in less than 4 hours.

While I was making the marinade I placed the meat slices in a zip bag with a good dose of cider vinegar. The marinade was made off the cuff. I'm bad when it comes to measuring things like that. What went in there was regular soy sauce, cider vinegar, Chinese black vinegar, salt, pepper, ground coriander, onion powder, garlic powder, some hot sacue, a good dose of brown sugar and a little water. 4 cups in all.

I drained off the cider vinegar that the meat was curing in. I figured this will help kill of most surface bacteria and added the full 4 cups of marinade and off it went into the fridge for about a 16 hr soak.

Early this morning I placed the slices onto a rack over a sheet pan and put it back into the fridge to dry. About noon I pulled it out and found it was somewhat dry but still wet. I used some paper towels and squeezed excess liquid from the slices and place them on the MES racks. I was only able to do a half batch because I didn't have enough room in the fridge.

Any hoo I started it off at about 170 to get the smoke going and get the meat to come up to temp. It has been on the smoker for about 7+ hours at 150 and is now dry, dark but not hard like regular jerky. Tender but firm and certainly well done.

The taste is better than expected. I was only sorry I couldn't get the whole batch done in one session but the rest of the meat is drying in the fridge at this moment and will be until tomorrow morning. I plan to give this a little rub before going into the smoker.

Here is the first batch just out of the smoker. Might not be technically jerky and I didn't follow the very low drying protocol but the results were tasty. Will just call them beef treat sticks. Anyway thanks for looking

Those are little nuggets of flavor, right there!! The details behind your smoke were great, thanks for taking the time to post!!

Nice looking jerky specially on your first try.

2nd batch just went in the smoker. Since the soy gave it an oriental note, on this batch I brushed the slices of meat with Thai sweet chili paste in which some dried red chili pepper flakes were added. This sweet glaze should give it some nice flavor and heat and shouldn't burn with the lower temperatures. Well see. Hope to post some pics of the final product.

Thanks action. I'm sure it will be really good.

Did you do that pastrami yet? Take it to about 170 then finish in the oven covered on a rack over water to steam until it hits 200. Man, that method has made the best pastrami I've made yet.

Well second batch is out of the smoker. A little darker than the first batch due to the sweet Thai chili sauce but very tasty indeed.

Nice, someday I have to try that, thanks for the Qview.

Pastrami is next today. I don't use a big oven (toaster) it is just me and my Dog (Cork) So I was thinking like smoke to 165 then wrap in foil and take it to 205. I was going to wrap it in a towel and into an ice chest to slow cool then to the refer. Then slice when cold. OK?
Thanks jack

If you wanted to try to steam it you cold do it on the stove if it would fit in any lagre pot you have. If not foiling it and keeping it in your smoker till 205 will turn out a very tender pastrami. That's where I like mine to finish.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky