First time smokin' bird.

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by bondvader, May 21, 2008.

1. bondvader

bondvader Smoke Blower

Im about to try chicken for the first time, of course, I've only used th gosm for the 3rd time in 2+years too.
    [​IMG]

2. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Details, my man, details!!!

How big, are you brining, what kind of wood? Please don't tease us with this thread and not post q-vue!! [​IMG]

3. IMHO, you can't do bird without a brine. Do a search on here for some brine recipes. I like to keep mine simple: 1/2 cp each of sugar/kosher salt to a quart of cold water (double as needed). The size of the chicken will determine the amount of time. Whole chix 4-6 hours, parts from 30 mins (boneless breast) to 90 mins (thighs).

And give us peak! Q-view as Sumosmoke said.

4. bondvader

bondvader Smoke Blower

Sorry, I forgot that part. Doing 4 fat bone in skin on breasts that I brined for about 10 hours (first time brining also). Im starting with an oak base at 300 for the first hour then back it down to 250 for about 1.5-2 hours.

5. bondvader

bondvader Smoke Blower

I'll keep you up to speed but I need to setup the the q-view. Thats anothr first attempt. Wait, Im noticing a pattern with the first time part.[​IMG]

6. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Personally, I never brine. If you do it low and slow, you won't need to, beside most store bought chicken is in a brine anyway. Smoke it to 160 to 165º internal, then pop in on the charcoal or gas grill till you hit your target temp and crisp up the skin. My wife wants her chicken DONE!! So I can go to 175 to 180 internal with no problem. Even then.....tell me this chicken doesn't look moist??

[​IMG]

7. bondvader

bondvader Smoke Blower

Well that look good flash. I just dropped the temp to 250 and added a few more chunks

8. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

What Flash said.

9. abelman

abelman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

x2...........

10. bondvader

bondvader Smoke Blower

Just checked on the breasts and got alottle on my fingers??? I dont think I can wait till I hit the 170 degree temp. I may start scarffing it down at 140.