First time smoke! 3-2-1 Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You said that you bought "baby back" and then used the "3-2-1 method". Baby backs don't usually need more that 2-2-1 (3-2-1 is reserved for spare ribs). That may be why so much "char".

Just a thought...........

Reactions: chalupabatman
... and I definitely overlooked this.  You are correct, I did baby backs.  Have made a note in the book to go with a 2-2-1 next time I use baby backs, not spare ribs!

Good catch!

Maybe from the rub you used?

Be careful relighting your smoker, can be very dangerous.

Well if you followed the 3-2-1 method they shouldn't have charred....but it looks as if you temp probe you used to measure the smoker temp is on the top rack all by its self...  if so that could be your problem because the closer you get to the heat source in a vertical smoker the hotter it will be at that level. so therefore the top rack could have been running at 225 but your bottom rack could have been running at 350 for all you know.

i told you wrong on the 3--2-1 part for bb ribs it is 2-2-1. But i stand by my comment on your smoker themo issue. and i would say not to use rack 4 (i am numbering the top as 1 and bottom as 4) at all and put your temp probe on grate 2 BUT... it would be best to know what the temp is at on every grate that you have food on.... i am thinking that they make a dial thermo that you can just leave in the smoker so you know what each temp is 

Will move my thermometer for my next smoke tomorrow.  I am just doing 1 pork butt, so I will put the grill therm on the same grate as the pork.  

Thanks for the advice. 

Great Job on those Ribs!!!
icon14.gif
------------------------------
points.gif

Watch those Jet Pilots---They Love Ribs!!!
drool.gif
drool.gif

Yes, keep your therm near the meat, but not too close, or the cold meat will give you a false reading.

Keep up the Great Work!!
icon14.gif

Bear

Last edited:
looks good ill be watching for those finished pics :110:  i assume your pulling that butt?

Yep, headed to 203-205 then going to let it sit for a little bit and then shred it. I am saving the dripping to add back when I reheat tomorrow for the potluck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky