First time smoke! 3-2-1 Ribs

Discussion in 'Grilling Pork' started by chalupabatman, Jun 27, 2015.

1. chalupabatman

chalupabatman Smoke Blower

Good Afternoon!

I am about 1.5 hours into my first smoke, 3-2-1 ribs from Jeffs book. Picked up 3 slabs of baby backs from Cash and Carry and they are currently cooking right about 226 with a mix of Hickory and Apple! Updates to come!!

2. chalupabatman

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  3. chalupabatman

4. Looking good man. Can't wait to see when they are done.

chalupabatman likes this.
  5. chalupabatman

So the alarm on my Maverick started sounding as the temperature dropped under 215 in the rig. Had smoke coming out, seemed to be fine. Went to turn up the burner and nothing. Somehow the burner just went out? Hit the igniter and it popped back on. Curious little situation, temp coming back up now.

6. Possibly wind? Its propane right?

7. chalupabatman

It is propane... Its very light winds today, and the house usually blocks most of it as we on top of the hill. I will check the burner after the smoke to see if anything is going on. Back up to 223 already seems to be going well. I have a hunch it might have been debris related...a couple of my chip foil wraps broke when taking them out of the pan

8. chalupabatman

Just had some visitors cruise by!

9. At least its back up and going. You can continue the cook.

10. chalupabatman

I have a question for you Masterbuilt Gurus. I have the stock chip pan, (i know) and I am using different variations of foil packets of my chips. I have been making both single fist and double fist sized packets of chips. Some I was poking hole all around, some just on the top, some no holes at all. They all seem to start super slow, then mostly ignite. I am also only getting about 15-22 minutes of smoke out of them.(is that right?) Do I just need to get a cast iron pan and put loose chips in there? Help!

11. chalupabatman

Apparently its hard to photograph smoke. This is about 10 minutes in on a packet. No holes, double wrapped. There was thicker smoke a few monites ago. Now its the super light, white/blue I am told we are looking for.

12. chalupabatman

Time for a couple hours under wrap.

Also,,, this Masterbuilt is stupid easy to keep at temp. Everytime I look at the display it says 226.

13. chalupabatman

Now that the robs are wrapped and we arent smoking anymore, this thing wants to get hot. I have all the vents open, its set to low, and I have tried to turn down the propane at the source, and its still climbing over 240, I have to crack the caninet open to keep it under. Thoughts? (Water pan is full)

14. chalupabatman

Also it is over 90 ambiant temp right now.

15. Sometimes if you turn the knob past high you can get and even lower flame going back towards off go slowly. If that's the way yours is set up I can't see the controls just go slowly towards off.

16. By the way I like 240-250 with ribs its not the end of the world.

17. chalupabatman

It works!! BRILLIANT!

18. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looking forward to see how they turn out! Maybe next time try some without foil and multiple rubs, its the best way to find out what you like!

19. Glad it helped!

20. chalupabatman

Definitely more char than I was hoping for, some bitterness on them for sure. Got some smoke ring near the surface. Thoughts on reducing char? Never got over 241 in the smoker

bearcarver likes this.