First time PRs on my Traeger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shea1810

Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
Amarillo, Tx
I'm about to mix/create a rub, remove the membrane, rub the ribs, and refrigerate over night. Smoking tomorrow for dinner with a mixture of cherry and pecan. I was planning on smoking at 225 for 3-4 hrs.
Any advice?

What type of ribs ?

I usually fire up my smoker, pull the ribs out of the fridge, take out of the cryovac trim up remove membrane, rub with a little yellow mustard or EVOO  then the rub on the smoker for 3 hours, foil for 1 - 2 (depending on rib type) unwrap back on till done  I smoke at 225

Gary

Gary has you covered providing these are not prime ribs. PR. If they are not and they are baby back ribs you are looking at 5 hours or if they are st. louis add an hour. Or country style cook like a pork Butt. Best ask questions now before you get going on them.

Last edited:
They are St Louis ribs. I will cook unwrapped, wrapped, and finish unwrapped. I've bought some apple juice to spritz and the final cook will be sauced.

3-2-1 then. Your plan is sound. Do a poke test at the end to make sure they are tender and don't need a few more minutes. 3 hours naked, 2 hours foiled, 1 hour back on the grill to firm up. I like mine a little fall aparty. You can adjust the last step to your tastes.

Oh I forgot  I do spritz every so often. And when I wrap a few good squeezes of butter, some honey a couple of spritzes of apple juice and seasoning

Gary

Brown sugar, honey, and butter were planned for the wrap as well. Maybe a dash of chipolte powder too

Looks like you are off to a good start. Keep the lid closed or 
Bottom.gif

Happy smoken.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky