first time pork jerky

Discussion in 'Pork' started by thesmokist, Oct 1, 2015.

1. thesmokist

thesmokist Meat Mopper

I picked up a few pork loins at Payless yesterday and thought I'd make some pork jerky. I really like this high country sweet and spicy seasoning I get from rural King. I mixed up the seasoning and cure and let the pork marinate overnight about 12 lbs.
    I'm gonna use my Cajun injector electric smoker. it's got plenty of space to hold this much meat. this will also be the first time using this smoker for jerky. I'm gonna use cherry.
    I've got to do big runs of jerky because my kids eat it so fast that's one reason I wanted this double door smoker. it will hold four racks but I am gonna add some prices of angle to the walls so it will hold seven. more pics to come!!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  2. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I made some a couple of weeks ago and was amazed at the flavor!  I think you'll be impressed as well.

3. thesmokist

thesmokist Meat Mopper

I read the thread you started and it looked killer man. its been goin since about noon and I just started hitting it with smoke.

4. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

One thing I noticed about the batch I made was the longer it sat in the bag, the better the flavor got!

Just brought the remainder to work today and it's all gone!  Making more this weekend for sure!

Looking forward to the finished pics.

5. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks good so far, Never did pork jerky before.

A full smoker is a happy smoker

DS

6. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I have not tried that yet I read CBs post and it is on my never ending list.I'll be watching

Richie

7. krooz

krooz Smoke Blower

Never even thought about pork jerky! After reading this and the Buzzard's smoke, WOW, this is gonna happen!

[​IMG]

8. thesmokist

thesmokist Meat Mopper

it's rolling along pretty good, looks good and smells real good!! I had to switch some of my racks around cause my slices are inconsistent but that's ok

9. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Sounds pretty tasty! I hear ya in the kids eating all of it. I could turn a whole cow into jerky and it'd be gone faster than I could blink!

POINTS for the pork jerky!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  10. thesmokist

thesmokist Meat Mopper

got some color goin!

11. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Lookin good

12. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Maybe you can drop some off for me to sample? Looking great waiting for a nice final closeup!:drool

13. thesmokist

thesmokist Meat Mopper

just pulled off some of the thin prices that were done and man I tell you what this stuff is killer! texture is right and flavor is awesome I'm a very happy man right now!!
    I'm gonna let the rest go about another hour

GaryHibbert and tropics like this.
  14. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks great! What about brushing some BBQ sauce on a piece to see how it turns out!

15. thesmokist

thesmokist Meat Mopper

that's a good idea or maybe some of captain jims smoking hot double d hot sauce!!

16. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks great to me

Richie

[​IMG]

17. 4pogo7

4pogo7 Smoking Fanatic

Looks awesome! This is on the list now!   [​IMG]  

18. twoalpha

twoalpha Smoking Fanatic

Lot's of good looking jerky on the way

19. thesmokist

thesmokist Meat Mopper

here's a final shot. it didn't shrink up as much as I thought it would.

driedstick likes this.
  20. crankybuzzard

Looks perfect from here!  I'll still make beef and venison jerky, but I'll make more pork than anything.  The flavor is amazing.

I too was surprised at the low shrinkage.