First time doing bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
[h3]From the producer's website[/h3][h3] [/h3][h3]What's the difference between Cured and Uncured Meats? [/h3]
Cured products contain sodium nitrite and/or sodium nitrate, which are used to cure and preserve meat. Nitrates occur naturally in many foods; in fact, you might be surprised to discover that nitrates occur naturally in all plants. The amount of nitrates and nitrites you ingest when eating cured products is negligible and does not pose any health risk. Some consumers prefer cured meats, while others prefer to avoid added sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite, so Niman Ranch offers both alternatives in our product line. The idea to cure meat began with a need to keep meat from spoiling. Salt, and saltpeter, the natural form of potassium nitrate, have been used as preservatives for centuries. During modern times, pink salt has become the preferred medium for curing and preserving meats, because it contains a standardized amount of sodium nitrite and is easy to control in processing. Use of nitrites and nitrates in the production of cured meats is now carefully regulated, with concentration not to exceed 200 parts per million in finished products. Their use is invaluable in inhibiting growth of microorganisms such as botulism. Additionally, nitrates and nitrites help meat to retain its pink color and add depth and complexity of flavor, contributing characteristic aroma and flavor notes that make bacon, ham and other cured meats taste so good. In the United States, meat products are regulated by the United States Department of Agriculture. The USDA defines uncured to indicate products that have not been preserved by adding sodium nitrite, sodium nitrate or a salt cure. So when you see uncured on the label, the label is informing you that the product does not contain added sodium nitrate or sodium nitrite. Despite USDA regulations, it's probably more accurate to say that uncured products are naturally cured. Instead of adding nitrate or nitrite chemicals, we use celery juice, a source of naturally occurring nitrates. During processing, the nitrates in celery juice are consumed by lacto bacteria--anaerobic organisms similar to the friendly bacteria in yogurt--that like a salty environment. Over time during the natural curing process, the nitrate in celery juice is consumed by the lacto bacteria and converted first to nitrite, then to nitrous oxide, a gas that dissipates into the atmosphere. The amount of natural nitrates remaining in the finished product depends on whether and when the meat is cooked, as cooking halts the dissipation process. Like cured products, natural curing inhibits bacteria, helps prevent meat from going off-color, and deepens flavor. Whether you choose cured or uncured Niman Ranch products, you can be sure you are receiving the best in quality.

I am very curious to know why the manufactures are told to put that label on the pkg if in fact celery juice powder is indeed nitrite, or converts to nitrite.

Here is what the sausagemaker says in there catalog.

Celery juice powder

The is what so many of you have been asking for...a natural cure

substitute to sodium or potassium nitrite, that has the same capabilities

and curing properties. Celery juice powder is specially processed to be used as a natural nitrate, which breaks down to nitrite, curing the sausage from botulism. Without effecting the final taste of a particular recipe, this ingredient does the job of a basic salt/nitrite cure and is fast/becoming a meat processing phenomena! Makes 25 lbs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What i do not understand is why it would be call uncured if indeed it is a substitute??

Karl

I would think the processors would want to state that no nitrates/nitrites were added.  It makes the product sound more healthy even though they effectively added the curing agent when they added the celery powder.  That would just be good, if misleading, marketing.

Why do they say no sugar added when they can a fruit that is naturally loaded with sugar?  Just seems like marketing to me?

Good luck and good smoking.

Don't get me wrong i also believe that the label is misinforming however it is what the law says they have to do. That was my only point.

If this celery is like The sausage maker says i wonder what the negative effects on the body will be. Now and for years past the powers that be have been cutting down the amount of nitrites that are used and are still looking for a product to ban nitrites entirely. At least that is how i read in rytek kutas book. The good out weighed the bad etc. Food poisoning and such.

Karl

I would think the processors would want to state that no nitrates/nitrites were added.  It makes the product sound more healthy even though they effectively added the curing agent when they added the celery powder.  That would just be good, if misleading, marketing.

Why do they say no sugar added when they can a fruit that is naturally loaded with sugar?  Just seems like marketing to me?

Good luck and good smoking.
Your right it does sound like a play on words but as the pdf i posted above states it is something the USDA demands.

Go figure

Karl

So why isn't that practice still followed today, curious minds want to know? This is a serious question. 
Some of the sausage making books i read all say the same thing. In the Good old days everybody died of natural causes so not much thought went in to it. After all the guy was damn near 50 when he was called home to the cattle ranch in the sky. How old did he want to live anyway.
lurk.gif
 Now they tell you exactly how and why and when etc etc,

Karl

While discussing the packaging and use of nitrates etc, and reading up on celery juice powder i got to chuckling. Imagine if you will the tree hugging don't use nitrites and don't BBQ your meat individuals running his celery through the juice maker while typing out the evils of using nitrites.

Just thought that was funny.
roflmao.gif

Karl

From the PDF:

Nevertheless, these results
suggest that: 1) there is wide variation among the natural and
organic processed meats that simulate conventionally cured products,
and 2) a large majority of natural and organic processed
meats demonstrate typical cured meat properties, including cured
color, flavor and significant concentrations of residual nitrite and
nitrate. Thus, it is clear that nitrite and nitrate are being introduced
to most of these products indirectly as components of other
ingredients.

Very interesting reading.....Boring, but interesting!

It seems that in some shape, way or form, producers find a way to claim "Natural", to get consumers to think they are buying a product without nitrates or nitrites.

Maybe producers should be forced to state the amount of residual nitrites & nitrates on the label, rather than claim "Natural" or "Organic"

Todd

Bottom line is if you don't use cure the bacon will be a different color, texture, and taste. It'll be "different". If you don't want to use TQ or cure #1 that's fine - but there is nothing to actually replace it to get American style cured bacon.

But, salt pork has a certain appeal to some. My Dad used to slice off a piece of salt pork and fry it up when he needed a mainline pork fix.

As always, this is my opinion based upon my experience and your mileage may vary!

Last edited:
There is no difference between a chemical produced in a lab or produced in a living organism.  I can make vitamin C in a laboratory or extract it from any number of sources including rose hips, orange juice the list goes on.  It's all the extra stuff that comes with it.  Whole oranges are a better source of Vitamin C then orange juice simply because they also provides fiber.  Oranges and Orange juice are better sources of Vitamin C then a tablet because they provide a wide variety of nutrients and carbohydrates.  If you want all that extra stuff.  I try to keep my sugar down so I take multivitamins and stay away from the fruit juices. 

The terms Natural and Organic are important when considering all the other stuff that goes into the process.  I would think nitrites and nitrates from celery juice or powder carries more "extra chemicals" then the chemicals purified by mechanical methods.  If all you need is the nitrite, do you want all the other stuff from the celery powder?

We have lost our way using these terms.  I think "hormone free", "pesticide free",  "no dyes or stabilizers" are important.  Organic and Natural are just ways for manufacturers to take the intent of a law and bend it to fit their marketing and profit strategy. 

I enjoyed reading this Thread,  good job guys.

Al

Well Said!

It just amazes me how manufacturers and producers S-T-R-E-T-C-H the definition of "Organic" or "Natural"

Organic grown spinach was a source of Ecoli a while back, so no method of producing food is 100% immune from bacteria and disease.

The key is to know as much about your food as possible and be responsible for your own food.

I buy meat from a local farmer and buy as many vegetables as we can from the Farmer's Market.

If you don't like nitrites or nitrates, don't buy or make food containing them.

Even though there are food scares once and a while, the U.S. still has some of the safest food in the world.

TJ

icon_cool.gif

I agree with anything that Al and Pops says Period. With that said I do think that you should use a processed cure for the ease of it. Then you can see if you like the home made version of bacon. I have been making it for years now and we don't buy any bacons from the store to eat like with eggs and stuff. Now I do buy thin and cheap bacon for ABT's and Fattie's but thats the only way I use stor bought bacons.

Since I started making my own bacon a couple of years ago home cured bacon is all I will eat or serve to my friends.  No comparison.  Do it with the proper amounts of cure, using a reliable procedure, be clean and aware of sources of contamination. 

He-he,  Mark I agree with Pops as a definitive source, I still have a lot to learn so I will ask you to question everything I say!  It makes for good conversation, but thanks for the creds!

Mark, why don't you take some time off, get with Jerry and see about catching a ride to SELA ?    We have a good group of friends coming in this year.  I'll guarantee you a comfortable place to lay the noggin down at night.

Bottom line is if you don't use cure the bacon will be a different color, texture, and taste. It'll be "different". If you don't want to use TQ or cure #1 that's fine - but there is nothing to actually replace it to get American style cured bacon.

But, salt pork has a certain appeal to some. My Dad used to slice off a piece of salt pork and fry it up when he needed a mainline pork fix.

As always, this is my opinion based upon my experience and your mileage may vary!
Uh Oh---memory surfacing:

Back in the 60s, my best friend's Dad made me a Sammy.

He was a big, tough, old time, Hungarian, who was a pusher foreman at the Beth Steel Coke Plant, in Hellertown, PA.

He took a 6" X 6" chunk of Salt Pork, made a bunch of slits all over it, shoved pieces of garlic into those slits, and boiled it for I don't know how long (maybe until it turned translucent). Then he'd slice it real thin, and line up the little slices in rows, in a couple of slices of Rye bread. It tasted pretty good, but I haven't had it since---LOL.

BTW: The only thing wrong with making your own Bacon is when you run out. I ran out one time, and I didn't get around to getting a Belly for awhile, so it was NO BACON for awhile, because I will no longer buy bacon from a store.

Bear

Personally i think it must be the amount of nitrites. I would guess that for you to get enough curing action to call it cured one would have to use a hundred lbs of celery powder. Otherwise why would the Laws of the country tell them they must put uncured on the pkg. I keep reading people say that this is some kind of marketing trick when in fact it is what they are told by big brother they must put it on the label. The sausage maker claims it is a replacement for cure #1 and will do the same thing as Cure #1

The USDA says they must state no nitrites added when by my reading this is not true even if it is in minute amounts.

Every one should read and study before they get in to making cured meats and although i do not think it is a risky as some would portray i can indeed be bad if one does not learn what one is doing.

However back to the original Question about making bacon without cures. I have had bacon with no cure and it tasted just like bacon with cure. And according to the usda yes you can.

The discussion about what is Bacon is another Discussion all together.
th_INGardenbbq7.gif

Karl

Last edited:
We all agree if you are going to make bacon without cure it cannot be cold smoked for any length of time.  I think that is the key to good bacon,  hours and hours of slow, sweet smoke.  Now I could cover pork bellies with salt and liquid smoke, maybe inject the liquid smoke like some of the mass produced bacon, probably even come close to something that would be pretty decent covered with Mayo and Tomatoes on two slices of bread.  But I bet you could tell the difference when you slice it and when you eat is as it comes out of the fry pan.

Always good to know different techniques.  I stay away from liquid smoke but I have been known to sneak a little into a pot of red beans when I don't have heavily smoked pork bits.

Like good Scotch  I love my nitrites, in small amounts of course!

Well lets see. Throw the pig in the fridge with the beer. set at 36* put in the amaze-n for a couple of days NNNNNAAAAAAA  Never mind.

She would probably throw a hissy fit.

More then likely insist that the smoke smell  interferes with here stink in a jar she keeps putting around the place

grilling_smilie.gif

Karl

Some of the sausage making books i read all say the same thing. In the Good old days everybody died of natural causes so not much thought went in to it. After all the guy was damn near 50 when he was called home to the cattle ranch in the sky. How old did he want to live anyway.
lurk.gif
 Now they tell you exactly how and why and when etc etc,

Karl

Wrong post Dude, you made a left instead of a right

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky