First time - Canadian Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tcounts

Fire Starter
Original poster
OK, so I've been lurking around for a lONG time on the forums. Finally I decided to try out Canadian Bacon.

I picked up a 9lb Pork Loin last week (was on SALE), and cut a 3 lb hunk off, figuring I could have up to 3 experiments as I learned what to do, without spending lots of $$.

So simple start - equal amount TQ and sugar. And stuff it in the fridge for 6 days.

Here it is after the cure.

My Little Chief smoker only gets up to about 160, so I pulled the bacon out after it hit about 135 to finish it in the oven.

Here it is after it hit 160.

I seasoned the loin with black pepper and some crab boil before smoking it with hickory and mesquite (it's what I had on hand).

It tastes awesome! Much better than I expected for my first attempt. Now I get to experiment with the other 6 lbs in the freezer!

Thanks for all the help you never even realized you gave me as I read the forums!
Nzpk0x5nA8xJp3op50Blag

Good looking CB. You'll never go back to store bought!
biggrin.gif

Congrats on the first time... Looks Great...
points.gif

Way to T's .I have got a 2.5 lb in the fridge and it will be ready to smoke on Sat. I have a top loading little chief and have done a ton of smoking in it.But it seems I always end up finishing it in something else. Now I have a UDS and have upped the menu.But there aren't many rules to something that looks as good as your CB ..nice

Wow, that is a great job whether your first or tenth.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
points.gif
You deserve some points.

Very nice bacon to you and it looks awesome.

That is some nice looking Canadian Bacon you got there. I have yet to smoke one and after looking at how well yours came out, I can see it is in my near future...
biggrin.gif

Great Job..

rhage2

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky