First time Beer Butt Chicken questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ismoke

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Independence, MO
So I've been doing some reading on here trying to answer some questions, but I can't seem to find the answer to this (relatively simple) one. If I'm doing a beer butt chicken, do I have to use a stand? Is it possible to just stand it up with the beer can up it's ___ and let it smoke? Also, what do you recommend to put in the can with the beer? Anything, or just let it be? Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

some people put all kinds of spices....I just take a couple sips of beer out of the can, and let it fly. I also use a stand. You can try it without, but I bet the bird might fall over...

*EDIT*

Actually, when I do a beer can chicken, I grill it indirectly. If I smoke a chicken, I just lay it down on the smoker.

You can get one of the stands at wally world for about $5.00 . it will make things a bit easier. I suppose you could balance it but that may take some inventivness on your part.

#1 rule make sure the can is opened.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
I read about some guy that didn't open the can of beer before putting it in the oven/smoker. You can guess what happened.

I drink about 1/3 to 1/2 of the beer then shove it where you are spozed to. The can should be about 1/2 full of beer/soda. I tried coke, 7up , beer and water. I can tell no difference in the chicken with either one so now I just use water. Its just for the moisture, I don't think it adds any taste to the chicken.

I sprinkle on a bit of Mrs Dash spices on the chicken and some more in the body cavity before putting it on the can and holder.

It makes very good Chicken.

I've done a lot of BB Chix and don't have a stand
icon_exclaim.gif
Don't need it (an extra expense Trish says I don't need), she's right, just set her butt down, adjust her legs and let'er go! Try a good Stout, good flavour(that spelling is for Arrdvark LOL)
cool.gif

Balance my man,balance!
PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif
:)-

Yer tastebuds must be clogged or the grease has them coated!
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

Try em again, I get different taste from beer to coke to H2O
icon_exclaim.gif

Maybe it's just me but I see(or taste) a difference.:)- Oh.well my .02 worth!:)-
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

I separate the skin from the meat a little, so I can get my hands under it, and rub the entire thing down with olive oil, then use my seasonings of choice. The oil makes the bird pretty and brown and helps the seaonings stick a little better.

I've got two stands but think that they aren't necessary, especially if you're using a tall 16 oz. can of beer. As the others have said, pour about 1/3 to 1/2 out and replace some of the liquid with soy sauce, teriyaki, garlic salt, whatever floats your taste buds, and place the bird on top for a nice tasty smoke!

One tip that I haven't seen mentioned but I do perform ... I take a skewer and poke holes all through the top of the can, and the sides (where it isn't full) to allow more ventilation other than the big widemouth hole. I think it helps but maybe that's my psychosis again
eek.gif

First of all!!!!....Beer but chicken???? never heard of it. Beer CAN chicken yes. like sumo said, empty half out and what i do is cut off the entire top of the can and then place a small potato over the top, that way the juices and steam stay within the cavity of the chicken.

All the ones I have done I pull the flap of skin(probally from the neck) and put a tooth pick in each side to keep the skin over the neck cavity to hold the steam. It's your choice what to use but make sure the neck cavity is covered/plugged.

I posted a reply here once an poof, gone! So, here be how I do mine, I use a rack, open a beer an drink some, oops, open another beer an drink some, dangit, open another beer an drink some, I add apple juice er orange juice an a teaspoon full a my rub, then stuff it up the birds wazoo. Smoke like yall would any other time.

I did four the other day, and only had 3 stands. The fourth one was a little bit more of a pain, but it worked just fine. I used a potato to "cap" the neck, and put some chives in the beer. When you get ready to do it, make sure you have more than one beer handy, it might take 3-4 to get it right... one for the chicken and the rest for entertainment

I agree. Any flavor is coming from the spices, rubs, injections or marinade. Check out how much juice is in the can before you place it in smoker/grill, then check it when you remove. It never varies much at all.

Try a jalapeno in its neck.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky