First time at sammies and I would like some advice..........

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shoneyboy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 3, 2010
Denham Springs La
 I’m looking to do my first Sammie this weekend
yahoo.gif
and need some ideals on how to do it…..I smoked some top round sirloins a couple weeks ago with hickory and I hate to say it
th_crybaby2.gif
, but they came out too smoky….They were so smoky they had an over powering taste to them, that was just not good
devil.gif
…… I feel that it was because I used hickory..... so I was going to use pecan this time…. Thoughts on what wood to use???? If not pecan, what wood would you use???  What do I put on the roast???? What I was thinking of doing, is rubbing it down with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper and let it sit in the frig over night then smoke them Sunday for about 6-8 hours.....unless anyone has an opinion to add/do something else??? What temperature am I looking for ??? Do I need to foil them at any point ???? Any advice will be greatly appreciated...... Thanks ShoneyBoy

I like to cut the hickory with a fruit wood. Pecan is really good too. I like to cook mine to about 130degrees then rest it a bit. Smoke at 225 the whole time

Bmudd14474, I was thinking that pecan would not be as harsh....It's kind of strange though. With pork it doesn't seem like you can over do it, especially with bacon....I really didn't use much when I smoked the sirloins, but man did it was almost a bitter taste it was so strong....Live and learn ......

Last edited:
Bmudd14474, I was thinking that pecan would not be as harsh....It's kind of strange though. With pork it doesn't seem like you can over do it, especially with bacon....I really didn't use much when I smoked the sirloins, but man did it was almost a bitter taste it was so strong....Live and learn ......

If you had a bitter taste you were tasting creosote. This is caused by too much smoke. What you want is to just barely see some thin blue smoke coming out of the chimney.  When you do the roasts dont forget to put some beef stock in a pan below it with some onions. This will make a great french dip

Good luck   

I agree with Scarbelly, sounds like you had too much smoke.

Hickory and Pecan are similar as they are nut woods.

As Brian mentioned, the Fruit wood is more mellow for long smokes.

I prefer Cherry and (or) Pecan mix.

goodluck.gif

Looking forward to the Qview

Just my humble $0.02, but a mix of 1/3 oak and 2/3 cherry also makes a nice smoke combo for beef.  It's a bit different and not nearly as strong at 100% hickory or even 100% pecan.  Again, just my $0.02, but I like oak with beef.  And, like the guys say above, you want that thin almost invisible smoke... if you see while billowing smoke, you're definitely over-doing it with the wood/smoke.

Let us know how it turns out the next time and what you ended up using.

-Salt

I agree... I'm not a big fan of Hickory... Pecan Is my main wood (not strong at all),,, cut with fruit wood some times

Sounds like yo poured the smoke to it...

Pecan is my go to wood and to mellow it out I will sometimes cut with pear.  I would use apple with the pecan but down in the deep south it is tough to find.  Pear is close.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky