First Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

culliganman

Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
Charleston,SC
I've always been a propane grill guy but always wanted to try my hand at smoking. Picked up a what seems to me to be a decent smoker off of craigslist this week. Burned some charcoal and wood last night. Immediately order some nomex to seal up the door a bit. Doesn't leak bad but a little seepage here and there.Will be making a charcoal basket before the weekend. My only other concern is the firebox cleanout door. It has a gap on the top. Shoudl this be sealed up or leave it be and see how she does this weekend? Thanks for any help or suggestions. And if anyone is wondering I gave 85 bucks for the smoker and a chimney starter.

Last edited:
Not bad for $85 bucks, Check with Ribwizzard, he uses a hi temp silicone on his doors.  Fire it up, smoke some chicken and see how it does, that way you can really see what you need to do and fix.  Looks like a little cleaning, a little tweaking and some paint and you've got a great looking smoker Cheep !!!   Double check that temp gauge to make sure it is reading correctly.

Gary S

Hey

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary

Hello and Welcome to our addiction.  A word of warning: There is no 12 step program for this one!  Many good folk here with a load of experience that they are more than willing to share.  If you have specific questions just start a thread and someone with experience will be along soon to offer advice.  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have.  Spend some time doing some research on the forums, tons of advice and recipes already available there.  Should get your $85 out of that.  An offset isn't the easiest of smokers to learn with but once you get it down they do a great job.  Leave that gap for now and see how she preforms.  If it REALLY affects you controlling the temp you can seal it later, I don't think it will.  We look forward to your contributions.  Have fun.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Ya, that is a nice looking smoker. I have mine rolling smoke right now. There is nothing like smoking. You are going to love it and the meat. Take it easy and good luck this weekend.

• I smoked some charcoal and a couple wood chunks last night for a couple hours just to see where she leaked. Gauge jumped all over the place. Top of door leaked a small amount. Have some nomex coming to hopefully fix that. Replaced the gauge today. Also picked up a gauge for inside the smoker. Hopefully do a charcoal basket tomorrow and fire it up bright and early Sunday and try it out with some chickens and a rack of ribs.

I'm new at this too, but had a few very successful smokes. I suggest you get some new temp gauges on each side of that pit, at grate level. My thermometer on top runs about 75 degrees hotter than my therms by the cooking surface! Tel-true temp gauges from amazon cost $28/piece. But you can by cheaper ones that you have to calibrate. Also get a baffle. Without a baffle you're temps will be much, much hotter by the firebox. I got mine from www.kickassbbqsouth.com.

Last edited:
Yep, looks like a nice toy for 85 bucks.....I'd imagine you're going to have some real fun tinkering with and tweaking that bad boy, not to mention the xlnt que you'll be dishing up soon. Many swear by their offsets as THE way to bar b que and I must say I'm very intrigued/tempted every time I go past one at Homers Depot. Oh, I saw one just like that recently at Wal-Mart for $268......so, good job on the deal. I never find stuff like that here on CL...ever.....have fun, enjoy the new addiction......Willie

Nice rig for $85. You will get your money worth in the first smoke or two. Any hi temp gasket material or sealant will take care of any small leaks...
welcome1.gif
...RTB

Hey man, Great Job, looks fantastic !!!!

Gary S

Nice Job. One thing I've learned in my limmited smoking experience, cooking the meat can be ALMOST as enjoyable as eating. Kick back and enjoy the day, watch that meat turn beautiful colors, enjoy a cool beverage or two, and smell what everyone in your neighborhood is drooling over. Good job, and enjoy!!! :thumb1:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky