First smoked chicken on the new wsm mini

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingjoejoe

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
Thanks to this site and many of you on the forums, I have successfully completed my first smoker. I just fired it up with some cherry wood and I plan on smoking my first chicken.

Thanks ..... and were off. Brined for 14 hours in a simple solution. Now on with some Cherrywood. Also robbed with a basic barbecue rub and butter under the skin.

She's running a little hot right now - 336.

Hard to contain these exciting moments...

I brought it down to 306 for the last 46 mins. Tons of fuel left. It's looking delicious. Ill open the vents when the meet turns 155 then smear it with my home made peri peri sauce and grill it for a few mins to give it some color. And for the veg - grilled aspagarus (can't wait the fuel) carport with raisin salad and more peri peri sauce. Happy bbq-tober.

Last edited:
5:53pm.
154 internal meat temp.
358 smoker temp.
Jut open both vents full. Here we go...

Final product. The skin wasn't crispy as I wanted it to be. Will have to experiment a little more or read up in how to get it crisp. But overall turned out great. Lots of fuel left to keep it going for a couple more hours.

Last edited:
Final product. The skin wasn't crispy as I wanted it to be. Will have to experiment a little more or read up in how to get it crisp. But overall turned out great. Lots of fuel left to keep it going for a couple more hours.
At temps above 325º your skin should crisp up pretty darn good. If you have time, try air drying the bird after rubbing it. Place it on a rack in the fridge for 8 hours or so, not covered. Another trick is to removed the pot from the base of the mini. put the grate right on the coals and direct grill the bird for a few minutes. That's one of the neat things about the mini!

Or skip the grate and throw the bird right on the coals!

At temps above 325º your skin should crisp up pretty darn good. If you have time, try air drying the bird after rubbing it. Place it on a rack in the fridge for 8 hours or so, not covered. Another trick is to removed the pot from the base of the mini. put the grate right on the coals and direct grill the bird for a few minutes. That's one of the neat things about the mini!
I air dried it for about 4 hours in the fridge before running the skin with butter.  I put the chicken directly on the coals afterwards, but the flare ups were crazy and I just kept pulling it off so it wouldn't look awful.  I think i'll try some chicken thighs tonight at 325-350 the whole way through.

I air dried it for about 4 hours in the fridge before running the skin with butter.  I put the chicken directly on the coals afterwards, but the flare ups were crazy and I just kept pulling it off so it wouldn't look awful.  I think i'll try some chicken thighs tonight at 325-350 the whole way through.
So one thing that I don't do is to rub oil or butter on the skin. I go pretty straight, just rub and go. All of those photos I posted I didn't air dry because I was short on time. Those were straight out of the fridge rinsed rubbed and into the smoker. To keep the flare downs at bay I always go skin side up for direct grilling.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky