First Smoke With Qview - Peoria Custom Cookers Backyard.....Loadin it up!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ambucher, Mar 28, 2014.

1. ambucher

ambucher Fire Starter

Well, I'm finally getting an opportunity to test drive my new rig.  I have prepped a brisket, 2 pork butts, 3 racks of baby backs and 8 thighs for tomorrow's smoke.  Here's a peek.....

The plan is to get things rolling at about 4 a.m.  I will post pics, notes, and observations as things move along.  

See y'all in the morning!

2. Good luck with the new rig. You are definetly going to love it. Looking forward to seeing the results. Keep us posted.

3. chestnutbloom

chestnutbloom Smoking Fanatic

That's an awesome pic of the kitchen table loaded with meaty goodness! Best of luck!   [​IMG]

4. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice lookin rig and a tub fulla meat! 4 AM, kick the tires and light the fires, by then the coffee will be ready. Nice peaceful sunrise. Definitely the way to enjoy a maiden voyage.

Enjoy the smoke!

5. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Exactly what Foam said, but maybe a little Baileys in the coffee ?!?! Good luck and post pics !

WHB

6. worktogthr

worktogthr Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I will definitely be watching this one...congrats on the new smoker and keep the pictures coming. I second the Baileys!

7. foamheart

Guys all I can say is.........................................

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/143662/uncle-goldies-irish-cream

And a touch of this too!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/143329/homemade-tia-maria

Any day you smoke is a beautiful day!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  8. waterinholebrew

Thanks Foam, :77: Ya always know what to bring to the party .... HaHa !! Thanks for those recipes buddy.... Damn, all the threads on this forum a good drink recipe could inadvertently get overlooked, :th_crybaby2: !! Damn cryin shame !! Take care bro....

Justin

9. ambucher

ambucher Fire Starter

Good Morning!

Make coffee.  Check.

Make sure no one stole the beverages overnight.  Check.

Bailey's for coffee.  Crap.  Oh well.  I'll get by.

Unwrap the meat and hit with one last shot of magic dust. 

Get the pit up to temp.  Check.

Get the meat on!  Check.

Ribs and chicken later....

Gonna be a great Saturday!

10. mrlederman

mrlederman Smoke Blower

It's too hard to be on this site when I cannot get to my smoker. I will be BBQing vicariously through you, so let's stick with what's on your table than the Irish cream. Just doing a big smoke (I usually smoke for my wife and I or a friend or two) to crown the new smoker or expecting some big appetites? Also, what wood and what is magic dust?

Good luck! Enjoy your day!

gril1 sgt likes this.
  11. ambucher

ambucher Fire Starter

Mr. Lederman,

I promise there will be no alcohol consumption, resulting in mediocre Q.....until at least noon :)  

Things are cruising right along.  The pit is keeping a good steady temp of about 250 with minimal maintenance.  I'm just adding a small split every 45 minutes or so.  The temps here in Illinois are still a little chilly this morning.  It was 33 when I started out.  We are expecting a high of about 50.  

Regarding the pit full of meat, this is more of a big smoke in celebration of the new pit.  I will have several friends stopping by throughout the day, and I'm sure some will stick around for the NCAA games tonight.  I've also had a couple of orders from family members for some pulled pork.  I am using a combination of apple and cherry woods.  The "magic dust" I am referring to are the homemade rub recipes that have been developed after years of research and trial and error [​IMG]

I'll keep ya posted as things move along.  Thanks for stopping by!

12. ambucher

ambucher Fire Starter

A little peek 3 hours in.....

13. Looking great!! Wish I didnt have to work today or I would have fired mine up as well. Nice looking smoker and what time should we come by? jk Smoke on brother, looking forward to more Qview!

14. ambucher

ambucher Fire Starter

Come on down Bama!

15. ambucher

ambucher Fire Starter

Ribs are on!  Things are moving right along.

16. waterinholebrew

Wow, it's all lookin real good ! :drool

Justin

17. foamheart

Yes Sir, I have to agree with you.

18. mrlederman

mrlederman Smoke Blower

Hope things are going great! Either way, I am sure you're having a blast playing with your new smoker.

I am curious about your rub (or any info you want to share in developing one), as I want to star collecting spices to develop my own. Also, do anything special with the chicken? I have been waiting to smoke chicken. I have chickened out when it comes to smoking that meat, chicken generally give me concerns.

19. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Great looking new smoker you got--love it.  HOWEVER, since I still have 4 to 5 ft tall snow drifts in my yard, I'm just a TAD envious.  Enjoy your fine day and what looks to be great Q

Gary

20. foamheart

Anyone else smell a hint of smoked meat in the air?