First Smoke Today!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meowey

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 16, 2006
Northern NY (Adirondacks)
Just finished eating some pulled pork sandwiches. I got two 6.5 lb pork butts at Sam's yesterday. Rubbed them last night. Into the GOSM smoker at 5:30 AM this morning they went. Used a combo of hickory and apple chips. Had to add more chips at about 9 AM. Temps were rock steady at 235 all day. Butts reached 195 degrees at about 7: 15 PM.

Is that about the right amount of time (almost 14 hours) for butts that size? It pulled very easily with forks.

Second question. I would like to use chunks instead of chips. Does anyone know of a good online source as I have no access to wood locally?

Thanks in advance.

Meowey

Meowey
Welcome to the forum.. sounds like you are off to a good start.
If I can't find chunks in the local hardware store...I then order them from Cabellas...they have the apple/cherry/alder/mapel...10# baggs for 9 bucks..usually get them within the same week I order them in...
As far as time on the butts.. the formula is 1.5 hours/lb., but it isn't unusual for them to take longer than the estimate...just the nature of the beast..
Hope this helps ya..

Later
Richard

Meowey,
With pork butts, I run my temps around 245-250 deg. They can take the heat and are very forgiving. I'm somewhat limited myself on woodchunks-plenty of hickory and misquite. For other woods I go HERE. 10 pound bags for $6.95 or $7.25 depending on what wood you order.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky