First Smoke- Picnic Shoulder with QView

Discussion in 'Pork' started by ivegotmoxie, Jul 11, 2016.

1. First smoke on the GMG Daniel Boone Pellet Smoker. I've grilled burgers, dogs, potatoes and corn but hadn't had a chance to smoke...

Saturday I picked up a bone-in picnic at the local WallyWorld.

Cut off the skin and most of the fat, then rubbed it with SmokinAl's Pork Rub and Mustard.

Into the Fridge for 2 hours...

Smoker preheating to 225.

Shoulder on the smoker at 5:30PM Saturday evening. I sprayed it with water at 5:30, 6:30, 7:30 and 8:30 that night, then stopped spraying.

At 1:30 PM the next day (Sunday, 19 hours later) I got impatient (IT was 181) and raised the temperature to 275F. This really started the internal temp climbing. I wonder how much of that was breaking through the last of the stall and how much was the increased temperature of the smoker. No way of knowing, I guess.

IT of 203F achieved at ~3:30 PM Sunday. 22 hours of smoking! See below for delicious QView:

It had tasty bark and a pink smoke ring. I was pretty pleased with my first effort.

More delicious QView...

I pulled it with two forks, took no time at all. I made a sandwich, and put the rest in storage. It should last me a couple of weeks of lunches at work.

Thanks for reading! And thanks to SmokinAl for the rub recipe and method. I'll be doing this again. I might try 250 on the smoker to be done a little quicker, or try a smaller pork butt.

J.D.

joe black, twiztid, sauced and 3 others like this.
  2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Boy that PP looks fantastic!!

Tender, juicy, nice job!

A point to you JD!

Al

3. sauced

sauced Master of the Pit

Great looking PP!!! Nice job!!

Points!

[​IMG]

4. joe black

joe black Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Great looking cook. Your bark and smoke ring were awesome.:points:

5. SmokinAl, Sauced and Joe Black, thanks for the well wishes. I couldn't have done it without this forum.

6. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

This is way better than my first pulled pork. Kudos!

Disco

ivegotmoxie likes this.
  7. Thanks, Disco! I've got my first ribs on rub now for tomorrow... hopefully they come out just as good!

8. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great looking pp! Great price for your meat as well!

9. hardcookin

hardcookin Master of the Pit

Boy that shoulder turned out pretty nice...Good job!!

:points1:

10. Thanks for the points!

11. I'm glad to hear it's a good price- I'm new at this, so I don't have a reference point, thanks!

12. jetsknicks1

jetsknicks1 Smoking Fanatic

Awesome job!

13. idahopz

idahopz Smoking Fanatic

That does look delicious!

[​IMG]