First smoke on WSM 22.5 / First Beer Can Chicken

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by burn-it, Mar 26, 2011.

1. burn-it

burn-it Smoke Blower

WSM Set-Up:  Kingsford Comp / Left over Cowboy Brand  Mesquite Lump. / Mesquite wood chunks / smoked from 6:45 am to 10:50am

Chicken Prep:  2 whole chickens / Same dry rub I use on my ribs (without the sugar)   / New Castle Brown Ale / Pulled when breast of largest chicken hit 160 / Chicken was juicy but it took some effort to pull it apart at the joints.

Sorry for the limited QView.  It's been a busy day.  Tomorrow I will smoke some ribs.

[​IMG]

About 30 minutes before I pulled from the smoker.

[​IMG]

2. burn-it

burn-it Smoke Blower

Smoked at about 235*

3. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks good. If you want the chicken super juicy and near fall off the bone tender take it to 180° in the thigh.... just keep the temps under 250° in the smoker so you don't dry it out.

4. rp ribking

rp ribking Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Burn-It, We WSM smokers think a like, we were smokin' beer butt chicken at the same time, except in time zones and different parts of the country, go figure. I think they may be cousin's!!!! [​IMG]

They look very good!!!

5. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Chickens look good...

6. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Nice looking birds

7. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

They sure look good, how'd they taste?

8. burn-it

burn-it Smoke Blower

They were mighty tasty!

9. Seriously, BBCs have been on my mind all week!

Excellent choice of beer, too. When I first tried out the beer butt, we used the crappy stuff because it was cheap, but that all ended when my buddies and I got a taste of what brown ale can do to a bird!