First smoke ever in progress! (daily updates)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hoffmaba

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
The meat: Pork Shoulder (2.5 lbs)

The equipment: a 14.5" Weber smokey Joe

Chips: Hickory.

I've marinated the pork about 15 hrs in a basic rub (though, I was debating whether to use cumin or not and I did and now it just smells like cumin...not a fan).  I have no clue what I'm doing other than reading this forum.  I'll post progress and pictures throughout the day.  I'd love hints and tips and encouragement as I go. I'm not doing any mopping or spraying this time. Just smoke and I think that vinegar-based finishing sauce. 

7205b449_DSCN0279.jpg

So, I may have added fresh briquettes a little too late and I don't know if the existing coals were hot enough to burn them. I've made a make-shift chimney starter out of an old wok and a small grill grate to get some new coals burning before I add them.

I think the temperature inside the smoker might dip before I add the new coals.  So far, it looks/smells good though. 

After 2.5 hrs, the 2.5lb shoulder has an internal temp of about 145-150. I guess the DIY chimney starter worked.

I rotated it (not flipped, but rotated) since I'm worried that the bark wasn't developing on the side away from the indirect heat. Now that I can start coals away from the grill, I think I'll finish up after foiling in the grill and not in the oven. 

After a little under 4 hours of smoking, I've taken it off and decided to finish it in the oven so I can better regulate the temp to finish it off. Here it is after taking it off the grill.
cc092c2e_DSCN0281.jpg

Well I can't say I have never put anything in the oven. Especially in the beginning. Let us know how it turned out & don't forget the money shot!!

How'd it taste with the cumin since your not a big fan of that spice? Butts are forgiving with overdoing the rub. What was the finished weight? 

Sorry to keep everyone in suspense. I literally ate right until I had to leave for work. I'll start at the end: it was one of the best things I've ever made. The 3rd best bbq I've ever eaten (Bennett's in Gatlinburg, TN and The Pit in Raleigh, NC).

In the oven, I was only able to get it up to 180 even after cooking a 2.5 lb shoulder for almost 8 hrs. I had to eat so I took it out at 180, let it sit in the cooler for 20 minutes and then shredded it. I added the SoFlaQuer finishing sauce and it was good to go. I think it could have been a little more tender, but it was perfectly moist and had an amazing smoke flavor. My girlfriend doesn't eat pork, so I'm off to think about salmon or turkey breast for my next smoke. 

Thanks for all your support and encouragement and the general knowledge base of the forum.  All I have to repay you are these final pictures.

Til the next smoke...
0c515aeb_DSCN0282.jpg

80bbd384_DSCN0283.jpg

af6c79ec_DSCN0284.jpg

Love seeing your final pics, the pulled pork looks very good, and you did well with the time you had given yourself. As I mentioned before, you can not put time on a bringing a chunk of meat to certain temperature, as each chunk is different. Much better starting as early as possible and giving extended cooler time in the end. Plan your next smoke before meat is thawing and your next smoke will amaze you ..... you will surprise yourself (and the girlfriend)! You have the method and temp regulating down, your going to do well...

That's my kind of sammie!!

Yummie!!

Craig

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky