First shot at Landjager w/pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

captmoby

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Kansas, BVI's
I used Kutas basic recipe with some seasoning adjustments. I dont know what it is but I just cant follow a recipe with out some of my own tweeks.

Ready for the grind:

Stuffing:

Drying:

Cold Smoking:

Done:

They tasted great! I was very happy with the results and so were many others. Doubt I will change anything next time. Gonna have to start a new batch soon maybe 30lbs this time.

Ahoy Captian your sausage looks awesome and I bet it taste great too. One questio is it seems to me to be flat and why is that I thought sausage would be round. So what temp did you maintain in the smoker ad what wood did you use too????But the suasage looks awesome and I want to try it also.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

ok guess i need to look up Landjäger to see whats in it.
sure does look good though.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

i was wandering about the flat too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Landjäger was a field ration and were pressed into a square shape befor smoking so they would pack in boxes better. If you buy it in stores it is still the traditional square shape.

Steve

If you haven't tried a Landjaeger you got to try them... I make mine out of Venison and pork. Everyone of my hunting buddies loves the things. A very good unique flavor.....especially with a cold beer or two!

Landjager is a flat sausage usually put in a oak press to flatten after stuffing. I just stuffed them very loose and pressed them flat by hand. I dried and smoked at 70 degrees with hickory. I wanted a fairly strong smoke flavor. My cold smoker has electric heat on a thermostat which gives me exact control over heat and an external home made smoke generator that doesn't add any heat to the inside of the smoker. It just needs to be cooler outside then the temp you want to smoke at. Worked great for this.

captmoby, the sausage looks great!!! Did you have to dry it after smoking for several days? How did that go? Did you have to keep it at a certain temp and humidity level for the drying part? I've been wanting to make cold smoke polish sausage, but the drying part can take a week and temp/humidity conditions are a little hard to find for me. I love your smoker too. Do you have any contruction photos?

I dried it for about 4 days in the smoker and then smoked at the same temp as the drying about 70 degrees. Then kept it drying for another week at about 50. A water pan with a wicking cloth will keep the humidity up and the heater keeps it down.

And on the smoker build since you asked:

Sorry I don’t have any build pictures however here are some pictures of the smoker showing some of the things you might be asking about.
My original intent was to make the whole thing out of a 5/8” 4x8 sheet of ply. I started realizing that that size would come out close to the same size as my Smoke Hollow Propane Smoker so I down sized it a bit so the racks from that smoker would fit in the plywood cold smoker. I put a piano hinge the full length of the door on one side and a clamping latch centered on the other for a good seal. The plywood was a bit warped so I made sure the bowed part was bowed out in the middle where the latch went which made it seal quite well. The interior now fits those racks that are about 12” x 18” over all it’s about 14 X 20 X 48”. I left a 6” space in the bottom for heat controls and an air pump for the smoke generator which I made from a stainless steel water bottle found at a local sporting goods store with a small hole in the side on the bottom where a 1/4” steel tube coming from the air pump inserts and a larger hole with a ½” brass hose fitting on top where smoke comes out and goes into the matching hole in the smoker. I replaced the plastic top of the bottle with one that won’t burn or melt (lesson learned) and covered that area on the smoker with a sheet of steel. The steel is to prevent burning the smoker when I fire up the smoke generator by holding a propane torch to the bottom until the smoldering of the wood inside starts. Then all you have to do is add a bit of wood chips every now and then to keep generating smoke. I put holes top and bottom with a sliding gate to control smoke flow through the smoker. I had an old temperature control that I mounted in the bottom with the thermocouple centered in the smoke chamber. It controls a modified (temp. control removed) electric single burner unit with an 8”x8”x1” chunk of steel on top for a heat sink to even the heat out. I mounted the temperature control knob along with on/off switches for the heat and air in a panel in front of the unit. I never planed to use this for a hot smoker but it can reach and hold that 225 range easily. I ran it there for a while to burn it in when it was new to get out any left over glue residue etc. So there you go my cold smoker sausage dryer etc. Here are some other pictures:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky