First Salami, with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
Wanted to try something easy for my first time so I bought a Salami kit from High Mountain. I realize this isn't the "real" way of curing, but for a first time, it'll do. 

Started with a 13+ lb. packer brisket. After trimming all the fat and sinew, it came to a measly 8+ lbs.

Still some trimming to go.

Diced in some pork cushion meat and pork fat, plus 2 lbs of ground chuck, for a total of over 16 lbs.

This little Kitchenaid grinder attachment worked pretty darned well. It'll do until I need a real grinder.

Spice and cure packets mixed in.

Next night, mixed in encapsulated citric acid, and into the LEM stuffer. This particular stick (and 2 others) had high-temp cheddar cheese added.

Filled 9 and 3/4 casings.

Next morning, into the smoker with alder pellets in the AMNPS.

I got a late start, and didn't get these in until 11am. The instructions said to start at 120°, then to bump it up 20° every hour until you hit 180°. Then get the IT to 156. This took a lot longer than I thought it would. I pulled them out at almost midnight.

But here is the result:

They are now in a wine fridge at 55°, with humidity around 70%. Each was weighed in grams, and tagged. Will see how they're doing in a week or two.

Last edited:
MN490, I am  confused but it seems like you are trying to dry cure this product. You have cooked it to a safe IT already so it is  safe to eat now . Dry cures  have  a starter culture to help prevent spoilage in raw meat, your kit probably used cure #1 only.Try your salami as it is ready now.

MN490, I am  confused but it seems like you are trying to dry cure this product. You have cooked it to a safe IT already so it is  safe to eat now . Dry cures  have  a starter culture to help prevent spoilage in raw meat, your kit probably used cure #1 only.Try your salami as it is ready now.
I am following the kit instructions that said to hang in a cool environment until they have lost 25% in weight, after cooking.

popcorn.gif
 Yeppers me too 

DS

salami's are looking good....
icon14.gif
    you did the right thing adding the encapsulated citric acid then stuffing. The directions state

• Add citric acid to the meat mixture and mix well. Run seasoned meat back through the grinder using the coarse or fine blade.

encapsulated citric acid should be processed using heat............If you followed the directions that should have made the meat mushy...... There should be no need to run the smoker over 180. The sausage is already cooked and cured and all that is happening now is its being dried. Same as drying some snack stick in a paper bag in the fridge.... You can lower the humidity.

Cant wait to see how it turns out

popcorn.gif

Joe

salami's are looking good....
icon14.gif
    you did the right thing adding the encapsulated citric acid then stuffing. The directions state

• Add citric acid to the meat mixture and mix well. Run seasoned meat back through the grinder using the coarse or fine blade.

encapsulated citric acid should be processed using heat............If you followed the directions that should have made the meat mushy...... There should be no need to run the smoker over 180. The sausage is already cooked and cured and all that is happening now is its being dried. Same as drying some snack stick in a paper bag in the fridge.... You can lower the humidity.

Cant wait to see how it turns out

popcorn.gif

Joe
As to lowering the humidity, tonight I put in about a cup of uncooked rice in a bowl. We'll see if that works. Sure smells good in there!

Temp went up a little when I opened the door. Humidity has started going down. An hour after I took this pic, it's at 62%

Last edited:
They look fine, but I've been concerned about mold. The bad kind. Before I put them in the cooler, I did clean it out carefully, first with Lysol, then soap and water. But it still nags at me.

I'm told it's not really necessary, but tonight I wiped them down with a solution of 2 cups of water, 3 T. sea salt, and 1/4 c. of white vinegar. That should keep them safe, I hope.

Weighed them while I was at it. They have lost about 12-15% of their weight so far. Probably need another week or two.

Last edited:
What did the bad mold look like.....white mold is ok. green mold is bad... if you have green/white fuzzy mold you need to re-think eating this...

What did the bad mold look like.....white mold is ok. green mold is bad... if you have green/white fuzzy mold you need to re-think eating this...
I want to reiterate, there was no  mold. I just didn't want to take the chance that some mold might grow. And I don't have the commercial culture to make the white mold on this go round.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky