First real smoker

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by pcolabbq, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Bought myself a real smoker, got a Char-griller offset smoker. After a few hours of seasoning I've put on a turkey to test it out. I will add a few photos as it comes alone.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  2. Action shot

3. Looks good man!  [​IMG]   Congrats on the new smoker!  [​IMG]

4. seenred

seenred Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Lookin' good! Congrats on that new pit!

Red

5. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very nice ! Can't wait to see some pics of er sliced ! :kewl:

6. Built a deflector

7. Finished product! :grilling_smilie:

8. Very nice!  [​IMG]   How is it?

9. Undercooked and over smoked. It was a good test run of the new smoker though, now I know it's cooking habits and will be better prepared for Sundays big cook.

10. Ready for Sundays big smoke. I'm doing 3 racks of ribs and a butt for my co-workers. I've got a sample of sauces and rubs to try out, a new better quality digital thermometer, meat claws, a bunch of smoking woods and a few bags of B & B lump charcoal. We will see how it turns out!!!

11. so ms smoker

so ms smoker Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks like you are well prepared.How did you figure oversmoked? Was it the wood or the time in smoke/? Provide some details and we may be able to help you out.

Mike

12. The bird had a bad smoke flavor (I prefer a light smoke anyway) from burning to much wood at a high temp is what did it I believe. My smoke was a ashy grey, lots of soot. On this next smoke I am going to use just lump charcoal with just a few hand fulls of fruit wood chips.

Thoughts on adding unlite lump charcoal to the firebox as it's going or should I always start it in the chimney and add after it's good and lite?