First pulled butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That looks amazing!    
beercheer.gif

Great job!

Bill, I've got to echo what others are saying here. 5 hours is way too fast to be fully cooked properly.

Wow what a great looking butt. Looks like you nailed it again

On pricing... just a tip in case any of you have restaurant supply stores like Cash and Carry or United Grocers... the one close to home for me in Oregon just had Pork Butt 2 pack for $1.62/lb!  I picked one up and smoked them the other day, 2 butts at 16.5 pounds total, cost about $26.  Seemed to be great quality meat also by the way.

I missed a sale the other day...seems like it was 1.49 or 1.59 per pound....can't remember...it was definitely in the sub $2 range though

Nice job....wish mine turned out like that..

I did my first butt today on my uds I built. Used lump with apple. Temp was around 240 most of the time and I calibrated the probe thermometer I bought. It showed water boiling at 210. So I knew I was running 2 degrees from actual temperature. using the probe, I pulled pork at 165, wrapped it twice in foil and put it back on smoker until it was at 200 degrees. From there I wrapped it in an old bath towel, put it in the cooler and let it sit for 2 hrs.

My butt was not tender at all. I threw away a lot of pork based on how tough it was to shred. Flavor is good for what that's worth.

The one thing that I noticed, I never got that temp where the butt just sat there for a while and finally the temp took off again.

I guess my question is anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I did wrong?  Also is there a way to calibrate the drum thermometer?

My butt was 6.5 lbs and was done in 5 1/2 hrs. I should have known that it wasn't done in that short period of time but I went by temperature of probe.

If I have rambled and not answered or provided needed info, please post and I will clarify.

Thanks,

Bill a/k/a bteem
 Great looking butt Rich.
thumb1%20copy.gif

Bill you're first clue was it was done too fast. (you knew it) In addition to what Pineywoods said you may have also had the probe in contact with the bone. That will give you a false reading as well. 200 should be done enough, I only take mine to 195 then cooler and rest and they're fine. Next time if you have doubts pull the probe and move it. Good luck!

SG

Nice job....wish mine turned out like that..

I did my first butt today on my uds I built. Used lump with apple. Temp was around 240 most of the time and I calibrated the probe thermometer I bought. It showed water boiling at 210. So I knew I was running 2 degrees from actual temperature. using the probe, I pulled pork at 165, wrapped it twice in foil and put it back on smoker until it was at 200 degrees. From there I wrapped it in an old bath towel, put it in the cooler and let it sit for 2 hrs.

My butt was not tender at all. I threw away a lot of pork based on how tough it was to shred. Flavor is good for what that's worth.

The one thing that I noticed, I never got that temp where the butt just sat there for a while and finally the temp took off again.

I guess my question is anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I did wrong?  Also is there a way to calibrate the drum thermometer?

My butt was 6.5 lbs and was done in 5 1/2 hrs. I should have known that it wasn't done in that short period of time but I went by temperature of probe.

If I have rambled and not answered or provided needed info, please post and I will clarify.

Thanks,

Bill a/k/a bteem
Bill, like fpnmf and Smoking Gun said, if your butt was done in 5.5 hours, your probe is suspect or you didn't have it deep enough in the roast.  You should have expected it to go at least 9 hours (1.5hr per pound).  Perhaps you had it too close to the bone which can give a faulty reading as well.  The connective tissue hadn't broken up yet at 5.5 hours so that would explain some toughness.  You need that time to break down the tough stuff.  Give it another try!  Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
very nice and it looks tastey!   I still gotta ways with my smoker before I can try something like that, but I'm looking forward to it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky