First pulled butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alaskanbear

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 24, 2011
Winnsboro, Texas
My very first attempt at pulled pork.

8203f90f_SNV30111.jpg

0dd5c25c_SNV30605.jpg

7650a523_SNV30609.jpg

bc42261f_SNV30645.jpg

5a472389_SNV30647.jpg

27ac20c9_SNV30648.jpg

004e7cee_SNV30650.jpg

I was happily surprised with the results.  Thanks to the many who have shared their recipes and masterful ways.  Got my attention..

Rich

That is some fine looking pulled pork.  Congrats!

I see that your meat prices are even higher than here in Taxifornia.  LOL

Good luck and good smoking.

Nice job....wish mine turned out like that..

I did my first butt today on my uds I built. Used lump with apple. Temp was around 240 most of the time and I calibrated the probe thermometer I bought. It showed water boiling at 210. So I knew I was running 2 degrees from actual temperature. using the probe, I pulled pork at 165, wrapped it twice in foil and put it back on smoker until it was at 200 degrees. From there I wrapped it in an old bath towel, put it in the cooler and let it sit for 2 hrs.

My butt was not tender at all. I threw away a lot of pork based on how tough it was to shred. Flavor is good for what that's worth.

The one thing that I noticed, I never got that temp where the butt just sat there for a while and finally the temp took off again.

I guess my question is anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I did wrong?  Also is there a way to calibrate the drum thermometer?

My butt was 6.5 lbs and was done in 5 1/2 hrs. I should have known that it wasn't done in that short period of time but I went by temperature of probe.

If I have rambled and not answered or provided needed info, please post and I will clarify.

Thanks,

Bill a/k/a bteem

That butt looks awesome looks like you nailed it the first time
thumb1.gif

Bill it's possible the temp probe was in fat which will give you a false reading. When the thermo shows it's done stick the probe into another area to double check. The other thing you can do tho it is more difficult is to unwrap it and see if the bone is loose and fells like it will pull right out. Usually I take mine to 205 or so then re-probe them to make sure I get the same reading

Pulled pork is awesome!!!!

Did ya use a finishing sauce??

Craig

Bill ..if you were done in 5.5 hours it was not right somewhere...

Sounds like ya need some decent therms..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky