First Pork Shoulder with Q-Views

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmonty580

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Richmond, VA
f779b5a6_Birthday003.jpg
e49e9fa9_Birthday004.jpg

e7ff15a4_Birthday005.jpg

02ad07c6_Birthday010.jpg

beace202_Birthday012.jpg

44b8b2bc_Birthday013.jpg

841c0cf4_Birthday014.jpg

2fb8c1ad_Birthday017.jpg

976c769e_Birthday020.jpg

A few pics from my 1st pulled pork smoke.  Put it on at 9pm, one on the lower rack finished at 9am at 192 degrees.  The second one on the upper rack finished at 1pmat 191 degrees.  Sorry didnt get any pics of it shredded, i was in a rush to get all of this done before my wifes bday party.  Also see the pics of the birthday cake a friend made.  Wife drives a mini cooper and loves it, they put this together, and stole the show.  Lots of compliments on the pulled pork, had about 30 people there and they ate the whole big shoulder and about half of the smaller one. I also smoked some chicken thighs that people raved about too. Made 16 of them, and they were all gone.  Also made collard greeds, mac and cheese. 

Pulled Pork, Greens and Mac and Cheese...add Sweet Tea and you got ALL the major food groups covered!...Well, probably need to include Beer in there somewhere...Strictly for  a Balanced Diet of course!...JJ

Lots of reading and tons of info on here, this forum has been great, tons of Info for a novice like me.  I was really impressed with the bark, it was extremely tasty (mop was the captain morgans and apple juice, I probably did 2 to 1 ratio). 

Here is a question for you guys though, at what point do you stop adding smoke? I kept adding smoke until I ran out of wood chips, but I'm guessing I over did it. I cant get enough of that smoky flavor but I'm guessing at some point the meat stops absorbing the smoke anyways. 

Oh yea there was beer, pina coloda, Rum, grey goose, tons of nice beverages to keep things going!

I've read that chicken and things like meat loaf don't require a lot of smoke.  I tend to add my smoking wood during the first few hours, starting with hickory when the meat first goes into the hot smoker and then adding apple or cherry wood chips twice during the first few hours.  I've never added wood at the later stages of cooking because it was either too dark to see what  I was doing or I was too tired to worry about it.

I've never had a piece of meat with too little smoky flavored except in the electric smoker.  I still haven't quite figured that part out yet. 

Anyone know how to get more smoke out of a Masterbuilt 40'' Electric Smoker?
th_Slab_of_meat.gif

That's a fine looking piece of pork! I never done the entire pork shoulder only the butt but now its on my to do list because that is making me hungry. The cake is pretty awesome also!

I've read that chicken and things like meat loaf don't require a lot of smoke.  I tend to add my smoking wood during the first few hours, starting with hickory when the meat first goes into the hot smoker and then adding apple or cherry wood chips twice during the first few hours.  I've never added wood at the later stages of cooking because it was either too dark to see what  I was doing or I was too tired to worry about it.

I've never had a piece of meat with too little smoky flavored except in the electric smoker.  I still haven't quite figured that part out yet. 

Anyone know how to get more smoke out of a Masterbuilt 40'' Electric Smoker?
th_Slab_of_meat.gif

Get a AMNPS!!

Reactions: smokey mo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky