First pork loin smoke... Rough start

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thelinx004

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Well I have been waiting all week to smoke this pork loin I picked up on sale last weekend. I read all week about the best way to butterfly and stuff, had all kinds of dreams. Only to find out today when I opened the package that it was two separate loins to small to butterfly...so improvise is what I did.
I cut the first one in half and packed it with spinach, provolone, feta, and sun dried tomatoes. Folded it back over and rubbed it with a mix of mustard and stadium mustard and topped it with a rub I had left over and some brown sugar.
tu9u3y6y.jpg

The second one was a little easier to butterfly so I did that and stuffed it with done left over Reuben toppings I had from past weekend; sauerkraut, pastrami, and provolone. Rolled it up into a bacon weave (I know its turkey bacon, but that's what the Mrs. buys) and slathered it with 1000 island dressing.
qemygydu.jpg

edenetev.jpg

Set them both in the fridge to rest overnight and tomorrow we shall see how the experiment turns out. Hopefully qviews to follow tomorrow with updates.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Check the packaging and see if it doesn't say Pork Tenderloins  
biggrin.gif

Anyways, great recovery and improvisation.    How are you going to smoke them ?

Demos- with everything I've read on this forum so far I'm hoping to keep the smoker around 240 and get up to an IT of 140-145 and pull to rest. Only my second smoke so hoping I can keep a steady temp. I have a handful of the fat trimmings I took off the loins that I was going to put in the rack above the loin I didn't wrap in bacon, hoping the drippings will help keep it moist.

Checked the package, says "pork loin". Maybe that's why it was on clearance!

Demos- with everything I've read on this forum so far I'm hoping to keep the smoker around 240 and get up to an IT of 140-145 and pull to rest. Only my second smoke so hoping I can keep a steady temp. I have a handful of the fat trimmings I took off the loins that I was going to put in the rack above the loin I didn't wrap in bacon, hoping the drippings will help keep it moist.

Checked the package, says "pork loin". Maybe that's why it was on clearance!

Sounds like a winning plan.  At that chamber temp and IT, you shouldn't have to worry about moistness.  That said, some fat trimmings dripping some love is always a good thing   :)  Good luck with it.

Last edited:
NIIIICE improvisation!  You sure you haven't done this before?  Great job!  Definitely sounds like you got tenderloins even though marked loin.

What type of wood are you going to use to flavor them?

Was only able to get a bag of hickory so far so I'll use that. Headed up to the parents house this weekend where I'll be able to pick up more than I can handle from my pops wood stove reserve.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the compliments, couldn't have done it without everyone else's knowledge and help. To thank you all I'll be posting qviews as long as noting goes wrong. In the meantime here's a pick of some ABT's and stuffed mushrooms going in with the loins.
uhu7ypa6.jpg

Sweet baby Jesus that was delicious! The Reuben loin was a little more most, I'm guessing because it was wrapped in bacon. But the sun dried tomatoes in the other one were killer, would definitely suggest to others. It was a little more dry but still very good.

Kept the smoker right at 135 and hit an IT of 140 after only about 1.5hrs. Pulled at 140, and wrapped for about 30 mins while I kicked up the smoker on high to finish off the appetizers.

ABT's and shrooms were good as well. Since I had them in a foil pan they weren't "too" smoky which was a good thing for the Mrs., still breaking her into the smoke affair I am having. As promised here's some drool inspiring pics.
Finished products
ureva3y3.jpg

Loin stuffed with feta, sun dried tomatoes, provolone, and spinach.
zage5age.jpg

Reuben stuffed loin.
uhu4y7ym.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky