First mozzarella smoke with photo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chefal

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Peoria, AZ
Tried my first cheese smoke. Let the mozzarella sit out for 3 hours to get a nice skin, then into the smoker for 1 hour at 150 with apple and pecan wood. Then back in the fridge for a few hours to firm up. Came out great!

Looks Great, Did it taste good?
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Looks like it came out great, have 2 things of mozz in the fridge waiting for the temps to drop again so I can give them a nice good cold smoke.
Great job!

This is one of my favorite smokes. You nailed it perfect. I do like to cut the mozarella into smaller chubs so I get more smoke on them - the taste is just out of this world. Nice job
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

First you set the cheese out for a few hours to let it get a bit of a skin.

What I forgot to mention, and this is important...I put the cheese into a disposable aluminum pie plate, and then put it into another aluminum pie plate filled with ice, and then onto the smoker. This allows it enough time to absorb the smoke and get it off after an hour without melting.

Hope this helps.

Gotcha chief. I put a tray of ice on the shelf under my cheese but still have to watch the temps closely even using a cold smoke generator. It's been friggin hot here. My patio faces west and ambient temps in my smoker can run near 90*

Sounds like a great idea Al. Nice job!

I know the feeling. I was trying to smoke in the summer here in Las Vegas when it was 112 outside and boy is that a challenge!! Let's just say very little charcoal is needed lol.

Now i got a question for ya. If you can keep the temps down while smoking do you have to let the mozzarella get the skin? I smoke cheddar all the time but was planning on doing moz on sunday. thanks for inspiring me

I am relatively new to smoking and only have 6 months of experience, but I am sure there are others here who can answer your question. This was my first ever cheese smoke but certainly not my last!

Good Luck!

alright I had just not heard doing it like that before. If you want to be able to keep the temps lower you might want to take a look at a smoke gun. that is what i use actually it is called the big kahuna. works great ! I would recomend some pepperjack also if you like a little spice..wow

I was wondering about the melting point of the cheese but it sounds really good and I/we like smoked mozzarella in this house. Well we like all cheeses just about. Gemany had some really good cheeses to.

I read the referenced thread, are you still using chunks 'shaved' down? How much of the 'shavings' should go in the can...packed in and physically touching the soldering iron? I have a ECB and will construct one of these ASAP!

Thanks!

Ya I'm using small chunks. You want them to touch the iron so the start smoldering. I just put enough in to cover the iron and add some in as needed as they burn away. Once you get it hot and the chunks are smoldering, the added peiced will start smolding quickly. I give the can a shake every now and then to settle the chunks down around the iron. Works great. I just ate some of the cheese I did last night and its awesome.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky