First jerky batch in the Big Chief (Q-view)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dukeburger

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2009
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Haven't posted here in a while as I havent smoked much of anything in 3 or so years, but I'm back!

Moving across the country forced me to leave my GOSM propane smoker behind, so I decided to dive into the electric smoker world and picked up a Big Chief from Cabela's.

Made a custom stand for it at work and doing small batch of my jerky today.

Marinated 24 hours in a mixture of soy sauce, worcestershire, BullsEye Steakhouse Sauce, brown sugar, Tobasco, garlic, onion, black pepper, crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper. Smoked with hickory chunks.

Would love to hear about others' experiences with the Big Chief and jerky.

I will post some more pics througout the day.

Last edited:
Looking good. Sold my Big Chief before a move years ago(wish I hadn't). Smoked a bunch of salmon, fish jerky, and beef jerky. So much that I wore out the burner. Just used a hot plate after that. Good smokers. If you haven't already tossed it Keep the box so you can cold smoke cheese and other things like bacon!

Thanks guys. Bend test passed at 10 hours!

I must say I'm a big fan of the Big Chief after this "trial run".

Jerky tastes great, but I may tweak the recipe a tad. Has anyone tried maple syrup in their mix? It's something I may try next.

Can't wait to do more Q-views in the future.

Final product:

I still have a big chief out in the garage but it doesn't see use anymore. It always worked great but wasn't insulated so I had to stick it in the living room fireplace to smoke in cool temps. Your jerky looks great,as I always say beer and jerky means life is good !
icon_biggrin.gif

When you get to try some cold smoking, look into getting an AMNTS, or AMNPS from AmazN Smokers. The chief does okay with the chips and pan, but for longer smokes the above smoke generators will work better. Plus you'll have very minimal heat gain.

When you get to try some cold smoking, look into getting an AMNTS, or AMNPS from AmazN Smokers. The chief does okay with the chips and pan, but for longer smokes the above smoke generators will work better. Plus you'll have very minimal heat gain.
 I like your idea ,I could use my Chief w/AMNPS and no electricity as my cold smoker. Thanks !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky