First full smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wes w

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 31, 2012
NW North Carolina
Did a fundraiser last week-end to help cover the cost of our sons med. bills. 

It was the first full run in my smoker.   Started at 11:00pm and pulled the last butt  18hrs later.   I was pretty pleased with the results.   3 butts to a shelf and 2 on the very top half shelf.  14 total.   Had it all sold before I started.   I charged $7.00lb.  wasn't sure how to charge.  Everyone seemed very  happy with it.

Rubbed and ready for the smoker

About half way through at this point.

Didn't get any pulled pictures.   I was pushing my time for pick up and didn't take time to take pictures.

Our son was involved in an accident and received major head trauma.   He passed away the 27th of March.  

Phil was 23yrs old and a Marine Corps. Vet.     Simper Fi

If you pray, please pray for us.  I have never in my life felt this kind of pain.    Our family is very close

You're family is certainly in our prayers, Wes. There aren't words to assuage your pain, but God bless you. Surely there is a special place in heaven for your son.

Wes,
I'm sure a lot of people have said "I can imagine how you feel". But they can't unless they've been through it. Unfortunately, I'm one who has. Lost my 19 year old son, who I raised on my own, last June. I wish there was something I could say or do to help you..... but the anguish and pain I have is the same as the day it happened so I don't know how to help. And my faith in god is gone so prayer is out of the question. I truly hope that you and his mother find that something that will help ease the despair and bring you back from the hell I know you are in. My thoughts are with you. If you think there is anything I can do for you let me know.

Oh No Wes! Was wondering why you haven't been on here in a while.  Such sad news.  I am so sorry for your loss.  I know how proud you are of his Service too.

Saying a prayer that God's peace will surround your family in some way.

Sending a big hug.

Kat

(the food looked wonderful too)

Very sorry to hear about this and I will be praying for you and your family

Wes I am truly sorry to hear about your news. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

If there is anything we can do for you here at SMF please let us know.

Brian

Wes, Sorry to hear of the loss of your son.  Ma Dutch and I went down this same road 7 years ago. I understand what you mean about being a close family. Every time there is a family gathering, a noticeable piece of our family puzzle is missing.  As time goes on, some days are easier than others but the emptiness is always there.

The support and prayers that we recieved from the SMF Family meant a lot to us.

My prayers to you and yours during this difficult time.

God Bless~

Rev. Dutch

Wes, Sorry to hear of the loss of your son.  Ma Dutch and I went down this same road 7 years ago. I understand what you mean about being a close family. Every time there is a family gathering, a noticeable piece of our family puzzle is missing.  As time goes on, some days are easier than others but the emptiness is always there.

The support and prayers that we received from the SMF Family meant a lot to us.

My prayers to you and yours during this difficult time.

God Bless~

Rev. Dutch
Thanks to everyone so much!  

Dutch,  thank you for the kind words.   God is all we have to hold on to right now.   1/3 of our life is gone.  We had three boys and they "are" our life. 

I debated rather to even post it here or not.   If its not wanted just delete it.    Please pray for our family.  Our youngest is in the Marines and set to deploy in June to Japan.  He has no one to lean on.  Please say a special prayer for him.  He is 20 yrs. old and lost his best friend in the whole world.    Thank you!

This probably isn't the place for it, but I'm going to share a poem I wrote the night Phil passed away.  I have other poems I may share later on.    If it doesn't belong, simply delete it.

As I sit here late tonight.

I can not help but think, he had a really awesome life

He was the middle child of three

He was the biggest of the three, a butterball he was.

He thought that he ruled the roost, the leader that he was.

He excelled at any sport, that he ever attempted to play

He was quick as lightning, in center field where he played

He came home one day, much to our surprise

He said he wanted to be a Marine, to fight for the winning side

He grew strong, as the many years went by

He grew up to be a man,  a selfless kind of guy

As I sit here late tonight

I listen to him breath

This is our flesh and blood, who God has chosen to take

Its really hard to do, but in the end it must be done

When God says its time to go,  our son will be heaven bound

So now we sit and wait, for the Lord to call his name

Until He takes his very last breath, hope is in our game

When all this came about, we gave it to the Lord

It’s the hardest thing we’ve ever done, we are the protector of our boys

How do you say good-bye to the children that you raise

It’s really hard to say good-bye, it shouldn’t be this way

As I sit here late tonight, we put it in His hands

We pray for Gods loving mercy, to save our son of three

Phil in Afghanistan.

So sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers are with you and your family.

chris

I am deeply saddened by your loss as well as Dutch and Geerock's loss , I am extremely inspired by your strength .

Being a parent of three, you folks really put into perspective for me, how important family is, sometimes I forget this... going on with our hum drum lives, complaining about silly things.

Thank you for sharing your story and waking me up to what is really important!

God Bless

I wish I knew more to say, but I don't.

Prayers from Our family to yours.

Rich

Heart-felt poem and story...brought tears to me eyes as my wife and I have lost 3 parents (my Mom is still with us) thus far and many neighbors/friends and other relatives.

I can't say I know what it's like to loose a child...but it's not supposed to happen that way...parents burying their kids. This can't easy for anyone, and there is no cut-and-dried method...it's a personal anguish that must be dealt with, and no-one else can know what you are feeling, even though some may have personally experienced a similar situation, we all react differently.

Wes, you and your family will have times of difficulty ahead of you, as you well know, but you won't ever know when they will pop-up out of nowhere. Folks will accidentally make mention of something that a deceased person has said or done which brings on the tears, and it still happens for me with everyone I've lost that's dearest to me. I can tell you that what will help is to push away the thoughts that bring sorrow and instead think of the things about this person that brought you the most joy when they were with you, either when they were younger and still growing up (or in my case, when I was younger), or as they became adults and began a life of their own. The things that made them who they are...their legacy and lasting memories of happiness and fun times you shared with them. These good memories should never be forgotten, as they are what you should find comforting when you do think about your son not being with you anymore in this life. Taking about feelings amongst your family can help all of you as well, so do make time for anyone who expresses the need for it...a family remembrance time, if you will.

For his service alone, he is a good man. For his caring for those he knew, and even those he did not, he is a good man. Do not let his passing be followed by agony...celebrate his life and what he did for his family, friends, neighbors and country. I'm sure he wants you to move forward with your own lives, and not dwell on his being gone in a painful manner, but instead with his smiling face in your visions of his past. He is a large part of your life which cannot be forgotten, so remember the good, the joyous times and what made him who he is.

May each of you find comfort in the memories of Phil's life, from birth to passing, and may you keep him and all of your family close to your heart.

My deepest sympathies...thoughts and prayers coming your way, brother Wes.

PM me if you need an ear or a shoulder...sometimes just writing things down helps a lot (and seems to work well for you, btw), but having a response from someone outside of the family who has no personal involvement can sometimes give a deeper sense of where you are and what you need to do. Take care of yourself and your family.

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky