First FLA smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bobcats110

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Riverview, FL
Moved to Florida this summer and finally got around to getting the smoker up and rolling.  Two small pork butts, one with oil and rub from Commissary BBQ in Memphis, other I experimented and used honey and a homemade rub.

I was really happy that the smoker settled in at around 220, at least, that's what the thermometer on the dome said.  I really need to get something more reliable.

It was a beautiful day for a smoke.

Using temp probes - got both up to 170 after about 5.5 hours.  I think I also had a temperature spike after I restocked the bin with charcoal and wood. 

Schreddy READY!!!

Thanks Al - I too like some bark, but the bottom side got a little barkier than I like - so I think next time I'm going to flip them 1/2 way through, to see if I can mitigate that a little bit.  Otherwise both came out pretty tasty.

Hello Bobcat,
Nice looking pork!

Hope to see you at the Gathering, we've been to a couple of them now, a great time and have this year's Gathering on the calendar.

Craig

Looks great, glad you got the smoker out and blowin.'

Welcome to Fl.... The Commissary in Germantown (Memphis) is the best I've had in that area.... I'm just south of you about 20 minutes (Palmetto) ... Don't know if you seen/read about the S. FL. Gathering or not... but you and family/friends are more than welcome to come....

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/244708/2016-south-florida-gathering-6th-annual-november-4th-6th

You know, I pass by the Germantown location all the time. One of these days I'll have to stop and check it out.

Lance

Lance - funny thing - we were passing though Memphis and I wanted to go there.  We drove by and it was a huge line to get in.  We were coming off 7-8 hours on the road and needed to eat, so we went to a hoity-toity Italian place across the street.  I was reading about Commissary and saw that had take-out.  I did a face-palm slap and ordered some to go, even after we were already eating the Italian.  Grabbed it - took it back to hotel and had dessert.  :-)

So, worst case, you can call something in a pick up and take home - was an easy in-and-out.

Jack and Nimrod - thanks for the invite.  I looked through the thread - can you tell me a little more about it.  Is it just people getting together and smoking the place out?   I'm having some surgery next week, so not sure where I'll be getting around-wise, should be OK - is it something you can just come down and hang for a couple hours?  I've also been wanting to get my girls out and camp - so depending on how I feel, might be doable.

Jack, I work in Palmetto at Feld.  What do you think of Hickory Hollow? 

Glad to see such a FLA presence here.

Jack and Nimrod - thanks for the invite.  I looked through the thread - can you tell me a little more about it.  Is it just people getting together and smoking the place out?   I'm having some surgery next week, so not sure where I'll be getting around-wise, should be OK - is it something you can just come down and hang for a couple hours?  I've also been wanting to get my girls out and camp - so depending on how I feel, might be doable.

Jack, I work in Palmetto at Feld.  What do you think of Hickory Hollow? 

Glad to see such a FLA presence here.

my neighbors son works at Feld also... as for Hickory Hollow... have you been there ?? as you know.. no BBQ joint is as good as your own... back when it first opened you were allowed to take your own beer ... We haven't been there in years... so I guess you can tell our thoughts...

Bobcat,

I have been to a couple Gatherings now. It's kinda like a family reunion, everyone pitches in with some cooking like a pot luck but with a smoked theme. Corn hole games, telling tales, talking about food, eating incredible foods and getting to know all the good folks here on the forum. It is a family friendly event but there are a "few" beverages around the campfire. Some folks come for just a day, some pitch a tent or have a RV and stay for a long weekend. This is also the same weekend that Highland Hammock state park has their annual CCC celebration. So there are other things to see & do but the campground fills up early. Best to check for a campsite reservation soon.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Highlands-Hammock

Craig 

there are still sites available near us.. and you can always cancel if need be.. sites 85, 133-135. and 137 near us are open for that wknd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky