First fatty failure now with qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fowldarr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
Oregon Coast
Well, I tried my first fatty. It blew out on the rolling portion. Pictures to come while I debate how to save a failed fatty

That has probably happened to many of us.

It's happened to me a couple of times when I first started making them. 

Live and learn..... 

Hope you can save it!

if you have a small bread loaf pan try to seperate as much meat out as you can. You can pack the bottom and the sides. Fill the center with your filling and top with the rest of your meat. take a plastic bag and lay it over the top and squish it nice and solid. Place upside down on the rack in your smoker. Let that cook for a little bit and the pan will slide right off. It will be fragile so don;t mess with it yet. Let it cook a while more to stiffen up a bit. lay your bacon mat out next to the loaf and gently pry it over on it's side with 2 spatchulas. Then gently drape your bacon the rest of the way over. Don't ask me how I know how to do this. Actually this is kind of the way I do it anymore. saves the heartbreak. good luck!

When I ran into trouble rolling a fatty, the cause of the problem was too much stuffing.

I don't know if you did or not but it helps to put the base (sausage or ....) by itself into the freezer for awhile to stiffen it up some before you roll it.

I think it was a combo of things. I put the sausage flat in the fridge not the freezer. I got greedy and tried to put too much in it., and I think I put it on the wrong side of the wax paper and the sausage stuck to it.

If you can separate most of the stuffing from the sausage you can try it again. It will taste just as good!

ooops.... didn't see your last post.

If you didn't already, try to put it on/in plastic wrap and roll it tight, then into the freezer for awhile.

Last edited:
It's wrapped tight, in the fridge, I probably won't cook it until tomorrow

Last edited:
Alright after sitting in the corner of the fridge like a bad fat kid in kindergarten, the fatty has been called to the principles office to get smoked. We will see how he is in a couple of hours.

There is no such thing as a bad fatty.

Sometime try a naked fatty. No stuffing, no bacon weave, just porky deliciousness.

In my experience, it's only the bottom of the fatty bacon that ends up undercooked. My solution, tested 4 or 5 times now to great success, is to smoke the fatty in a foil boat for the first 20-30 minutes. The bacon fat pools in the boat as it renders, and the bottom gets nice and crispy. Once the bottom is cooked, slide the fatty off the foil and onto your grates. Bonus points for drizzling the rendered bacon fat on top of the fatty.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky