first fattie questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mballi3011

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 12, 2009
I just finished rolling my first FATTIE and I'm really excited and cannt wait to smoke it. The wife thinks I'm a freak now since I'm on here every day. But she does'nt complain when the food come off the smoker. In fact i'm cooking a pork butt, THE FATTIE, a chicken and chili braised short ribs tomorrow. My question for yous is my fattie with mixed sausage was really sticky I even read and did put it in the freezer for a few minutes

Not quite sure what your question is, but if it is about your fattie being sticky, no worries. Lay that puppy down and wrap it in some bacon. Slap that thing on the smoker and have a party!

Good advice, Rivet. The bacon is a great adhesive and always adds some bacony goodness flavor to it. If you're smoking on a vertical smoker, be sure to have the chicken on the bottom rack, and not on the top rack.

Sounds awesome. Rivet and Sumo said it. No worries on the stickiness. Sausage is fatty and fat is sticky.

LOL. My wife thinks I'm a wack-job now too. Apparently I'm spending a little too much time learning about smoking meats. Geesh woman, I'm trying to learn something here.

Oh yeah, don't forget the pictures. No q-view, never happened.

WHAT'S IN THE FATTIE?

Long as it rolled up nice without any blowouts or weak spots you should have nothing to worry about.
Normally fatties are wrapped in bacon, not only to add moisture and flavor but to insure they hold together as well, though I have made several without bacon it never hurts, especially if you are unsure.
Would also like to know how you made the fattie and what went in it. More info and we could help you pinpoint any issues that may have occurred for you.
Good luck with your smoke.

I have watch'and listened here so my fattie does have bacon with a nice weave. This thing is huge with green onions, gourmet mushrooms, jalapenos, peppers, chiorzo, cheese 2 kinds. yes there are picture and they will soon follow the feast. Thanks Alot to all

your fatty got "sticky" because the fat in the meat warmed up... and yes that is normal. i try to work as quick as i can when making a fatty just for this reason.

before it goes in the smoker i usually put in the fridge until it firms up.

cant wait for the pics

notice how the meat stuck to the paper?...i waited too long to roll this one out but it still worked out in the end..no bacon needed

245aiwl.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky