First fattie - BEC with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

downstatesmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Rockville Centre, NY
Hi all,

This is my first fattie.

1.5 lbs Johnsonville Maple Sausage taken out of the casing (can't find good roll sausage around here unless it's Italian sausage). I rolled out the sausage using a 1 gallon Ziploc (thanx to posts on this board for that trick). Turned out on Saran Wrap and added Cheddar/Colby Blend:

Added cooked (not crisp) bacon:

6 scrambled eggs:

I started the grill up at at 5:30AM, thought I would give my coworkers a treat before I leave for Italy for 10 days (leaving tomorrow) and of course get 1 more smoke in. I got the coals going right away. Rolled the fattie the night before and set in the chill chest wrapped in Saran Wrap.

Took the fattie out and let it sit while the smoker got rolling (roughly 1 hour):

After 1 hour at 225 degrees/maple+oak smoke:

At that point I spritz it with apple juice. 15 minutes later spritzed it again with AJ. At 1.5 hours I foiled the sucker and let it go till it got to an internal temp of 165. (roughly 2.5 hours)

Wrapped it in a second piece of foil, dropped it in a cooler and covered it in a jacket to keep it warm. Cut it when I got to the office:

Next time I think I would want to add less eggs (maybe 4 instead of 6). I had a minor blowout but didn't seem to "ruin" the fattie. I also want to add some more kick, maybe a brown sugar/red cayenne pepper rub. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you again for all the help I received on this board. I would never have even thought to do this without this board.

Hope it helps anyone thinking about putting together a fattie.

OK now I'm really hungry that fatty looks good and have a great trip

Sure 2 less eggs will take a lot of the strain off the "shell". You could see the cheese in your fatty before ya put it to smoke, there's your blowout! Looks real tasty, great job!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

First time I tried it, and realized my maverick cuts out at 212 degrees (just says High for the temp above that). I'm going to work on another therm and see if that works next time.

Thank you for all the encouragement. I knew before the fattie went on I was looking at a blowout but figured "ahh the heck with it". Next time 2 less eggs, maybe a small amount of salsa...... Ahh next time
biggrin.gif

Blowout? Didn't even see it. Couldn't get my eyes past the center of that thing. Looks very tasty!!!

Very Nice Fatty DSM. Keep up the good work. Blowouts are just part of it sometimes. I bet it still tasted great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky