first butt underway! (with Q-view)

Discussion in 'Pork' started by redline57, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Ok, I just started my first butt. Ill be posting pics as we go along. I hope the pics come out ok.

2. Yup, the pic is ok! More to come!

3. We want details too. Rub used....temp cooking at....When u plan to pull it off etc. We are detail hounds :)

4. I injected apple juice. I rubbed with mustard. Then I used this rub, black pepper, and onion soup. Im going to try to keep the temp around 275. Im using a Weber kettle 22" im also using Kingsford and chunks of apple wood.

5. Its coming along nicely!!

6. Time for a quick nap.

7. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Looks good !

8. Ok the temp got just a little hotter tgan I wanted (I fell asleep). It got about 310. The only thing I can tell is it cooked a little faster. Heres a pic

9. The bone pulled out clean and easy.

10. Heres a pic of it after I pulled it!

11. One more pic of it with just a little Bbq sauce on it.

12. And the end result

13. loniblaze

loniblaze Newbie

Someone needs to come up with a way for you to send me some through the computer.

14. Do I see a Hot 'n Fast butt cooking method emerging?

15. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Whatever works!! That looks awesome, glad it worked out for you.

16. I didnt mean for it to be hot and fast. I wanted slow and low. I put it on about 10 pm. The it was just over 200 at 5am this morning. I was expecting at least 1 1/2 hours per pound. It only took 1 hour per pound. Ill tell ya this though, its freaking good!!!

17. grillmonkey

grillmonkey Smoking Fanatic

If it is as good as it looks, It should be great!

18. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That's all that matters!

19. yotzee

yotzee Smoking Fanatic

Butts can take hot and fast, I always cook my butts upward in the high 200s to 300 range.

Nice job, great looking pulled pork!!

20. That Mccormicks is the stuff!! Just found the applewood the other day, anxious to try. Used Sweet n smokey few weeks ago on spareribs... Man that was good!

Looks incredible, great job!