First Butt smoke in a long time.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coolpick87

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I'm planning on smoking some a butt tomorrow(saturday) for my family. I plan on just smoke one small one(6lbs) I need it done by 4pm, Does it sound about right to throw it on the smoker around 6.

The plan is...
Smoke to 160
Foil oven until ~200
Throw in cooler and make a 100mile drive to relatives house.

I'm just trying to get my times lined out(kinda)

I kinda want to just bring the smoker up there, but I dont like to the haul it around since the legs are getting flimsy.

I would think it will depend upon the temperature you're smoking at. That should get you done if you're smoking in the 280-300* range for sure, but might be cutting it close at 220-230*. For me, an 7-8 lb butt typically takes around 8-9 hours to get to 195* (foiling at 165*) at 275* in the smoker. Maybe the 6 lber is enough smaller that it would smoke faster even at a lower temp? Just my 2 cents. Never hurts to be done a little early though, since you can wrap it up and put it in the cooler!

Agreed! Sometimes it can be dangerous planning a meal around a smoke...Especially when it involves travel time. You never know if you might hit a plateau or what else might come your way.

I'd do it overnight tonight. Pull it and put it into a crockpot then into the fridge overnight then to reheat when you get to your destination. Then you can sleep tomorrow during the time you were planning on smoking.

Actually that sounds like a good ideal. Do you throw anything in with the pork when you put it in the fridge?

I like to wait with the finishing sauce until I am heating it to serve. The vinegar in it tends to break the meat down. The juice from foiling should be plenty of liquid to get it through a few hours in the fridge.

Do try the finishing sauce, though. It doesn't add flavor as much as it enhances it. It is a magical elixir.

I went ahead and smoked it last night. Started at 10pm, oven at 4:30 and finished around 7:30. I left it in the cooler(I fell asleep) for about 2 1/2 hours. I pulled it this morning, it was a little slimy if you wanna call it that. But it tasted pretty good. Sorry no Q-view I was walking around like a zombie last night babysitting the smoker and oven.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky