First brisket with real time Qview!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It wont be dry with the fat up.

I don't foil either.

It's your call bud, if it were me I'd let er ride if ya didn't trim the fat cap.... as the mustard & rub as it firms provides that barrier too IMHO... However I don't wanna sway ya one way or the other just like I say this is all my personal preference ! Hope any of this helps !

You didn't trim any fat? As long as there is still a fat cap you will be good to go.

Like cf said, if ya did not trim the fat cap, ya should be good ! I never trim the fat cap !

Last edited:
All depends on how thick the cap is. Get rid of the ugly fat. Trim to 1/4 cap.

Ok, I didn't not trim ANY fat off. It looked like it would be good. It was mostly 1/2" thick, maybe 1/4" in some places but nothing too nasty or shrubbery so I left it alone. I was thinking how awesome the fat tastes on a prime rib/roast so thought maybe this would be the same.

To to sum up, full fat cap scored as seen in photos but no fat removed. Smoked fat cap up. I haven't touched it since it went in and I think there is a really nice bark forming.

When I pull and wrap with towels will the bark get soggy? Is there any way to prevent this? I'm wondering where all the juice is? Hopefully locked in the meat because there isn't much in the drip pan.

7:00 @ 159
7:30 @ 162
8:00 @ 165
8:30 @ 166
9:00 @ 167
9:30 @ 169

Definitely in that stall period.

ha8yraju.jpg

8u9epu7e.jpg

When wrapped the bark will get a little soft. Try tenting the foil.

Ok so another question. Should I put the brisket back on the cooling rack in another aluminum pan like you see and then just cover with foil and wrap with towels and in a cooler?

I'm thinking I could keep a little air space between the brisket and the foul that way and it wouldn't be laying in any juice that could make the bath soggy.

I personally would when toothpick tender... Pull brisket, foil, towel & rest for a few hours... IMHO. !

Just keep a close eye on er, about 198* IT you'll wanna start doin the toothpick test on er...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky