First Brisket on a Traeger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tex2az11

Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Hey everyone I usually use a vertical propane smoker to do all my smoking needs, well I am going to try my father-in laws traeger. I do have a little experience with it. I love smoke flavor, cant get much out of a traeger. so my question is should I set it on smoke for a few hours(180) and then crank it up to my grilling temp? 250?

I have a GMG, but I think all pellet smokers are relatively the same as far as smoke output. The higher the temp the lower the smoke output... I know this is your FIL's smoker, but you all may look into a tube smoker from Amazen Products. This is what I use in my GMG when I'm wanting a bit more smoke flavor & it works awesome. Your FIL may like the option of more smoke too.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amnts.htm

Hey everyone I usually use a vertical propane smoker to do all my smoking needs, well I am going to try my father-in laws traeger. I do have a little experience with it. I love smoke flavor, cant get much out of a traeger. so my question is should I set it on smoke for a few hours(180) and then crank it up to my grilling temp? 250?

Hi there and welcome!

That may help just keep in mind the safety rule that you don't want uncured meat between 40-140F temp for over 4 hours. So if you apply smoke for 2 hours that is fine just be sure you can hit 145F+ within the next 2 hours of cooking.

I have seen many pellet grill guys buy a smoking tube like the following to get the smoke they desire:
AMNTS-2.gif

A pellet burner already uses pellets so the pellet tube is plug and play. It would also be useful if you needed extra smoke in another type of smoker :)

And your not concerned with the "safety rule" I did smoke only for an hour and a half this AM. cranked it to 225. got to 140 within 2 hours. I am currently at work, for a few hours so I am nervous to see how its going to be when I get back. I called the MIL. it's sitting at 160 right not(the dreaded stall-bum bum bum bummmm) I was hoping it wouldn't get there until I got back, since I wanted to wrap in butcher paper. should I still do that when I get back to it in another 2 hours?

And your not concerned with the "safety rule" I did smoke only for an hour and a half this AM. cranked it to 225. got to 140 within 2 hours. I am currently at work, for a few hours so I am nervous to see how its going to be when I get back. I called the MIL. it's sitting at 160 right not(the dreaded stall-bum bum bum bummmm) I was hoping it wouldn't get there until I got back, since I wanted to wrap in butcher paper. should I still do that when I get back to it in another 2 hours?

At 170 the smoker probably averages close to 200*. I have never had a piece of meat not reach 140* in 4 hours. I suppose it is possible if the cut of meat is thick enough. In my experience, it doesn't take long for meat to get to 140*, it is when it hits the stall that it starts taking its sweet time. A fresh piece of meat can rise in temp easy and fast as the Maillard reaction (browning or bark formation) doesn't start to happen until 140*. Once this starts it forms a bit of a protective layer and this combined with evaporative cooling, AKA the stall, account for the vast majority of the cooking time. The stall can last 4-6+ or more hours easy. Of course, you may know this or have different theories, so I guess this is my theory (and I'm sticking to it LOL).

If you are still uncomfortable with the lower temp for that long then definitely consider an auxiliary smoker, such as the highly regarded Amazen smokers. I love the expandable tube smoker that Todd sells.

As for wrapping, I wrap according to color and bark formation. When the meat gets to color and the bark formation I like, I wrap. I tend to warp later in the cook that most. I don't see why you couldn't wrap later when you can.

Well for a choice cut of brisket, it turned out amazingly well.. and for my 2nd brisket I have ever cooked, I am thrilled with the results! Came out a tad bit dry, but I don't like it sopping wet. it was amazingly tender! Good bark. next time I will take pictures! I think I might put it on smoke for 2-3 hours next time! Thanks for the help!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky