First Boston Butt on the WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

raleighsmoker

Original poster
Dec 26, 2014
My wife gave me a 18.5 WSM for my Christmas present and I smoked two Boston Butts.  Things went well with the temperatures and the meat had a great smokey taste.

Question:  how do you guys get that perfect mahogany color and look like the professionals?  When the temperature got to 160, I wrapped the butts to try and keep the color.  I took them off at 195, wrapped them in towels and placed in a cooler until all the guests arrived.  They darkened a little more and did not have that "perfect" look.  I watch Pitmasters on TV and have even been to a competition in which Myron Mixon and Melissa Cookston were competing.  I realize experience is the best teacher, but thought I would see what kind of tips you guys have for me.

I've found that adding some cherry wood tends to add color.  Also your rub needs to have a lot of paprika in it.  Finally, if it wasn't dark enough for you, take it a little deeper into the smoke before you wrap it, say 170 to 180F.  That way you'll get better bark through the wrap and retain the color.   

Thanks for the reply.  It was actually a little darker than I like, but I let the heat get higher than I wanted one time.  I think that caused more dark than I wanted.

The amount of sugar in your rub can cause it to be darker or burnt like a meteorite. If you make your own rub, either use less sugar or use raw sugar which has a higher heat tolerance. I've started using less sugar in my rubs then adding raw sugar to the pulled meat if it needs to be a little sweeter.

Last edited:
The perfect mahogany color is a bit of a mythical beast - you might achieve it once in a while, but usually not worth all the extra fuss unless your gonna compete. Even a dark bark can still be very tasty - the trick is once you pull if off of the smoker double wrap it in heavy foil and then rest it in a dry towel lined ice chest for at least 1 hr.

Thanks for that info.  I was planning to eat at 6:00 and the port hit 195 at 3:30.  I had already wrapped the butts in foil, so I took some towels and wrapped each one up separately. I then put them in a cooler until about 5:45.  The meat was unbelievably tender and had that great smokey flavor.  Tonight I am smoking chicken wings.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky