First Belly Bacon

Discussion in 'Smoking Bacon' started by markf, Jan 2, 2010.

1. markf

markf Newbie

I had no idea that it was even possible to make bacon at home but I learned it here on the forum. I think I read every thread concerning belly bacon before even asking my local butcher to get me a belly. One ten pound belly for my first attempt. I cut it in half and drycured it with Tenderquick and maple sugar, one half for 7 days and the other half will smoke tomorrow at 9 days. I smoked the first half yesterday for 7 hours after 7 days of curing and it came out spectacular. Thank you everyone for the help and I promise more and better pics next time.

2. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Mark
    That is some great looking bacon - I am waiting on my TQ to arrive ( cant buy it here in So Cal ) and have a special order in for some belly as we speak. What temp did you smoke it at?

3. markf

markf Newbie

I was able to keep the temp under 140 for the whole smoke. I have to admit I feel like a king after being able to create the best food in the world. [​IMG]

4. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

It looks Great... Nice job on the first try...[​IMG]

5. bigtrain74

bigtrain74 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks good Mark! Nice post

6. That looks great from here.It was -23 this morning and I'm sure glad I got the smoking done for new years day party.I got a call from a good friend that's hunting hogs in Texas right now and they have 11 so far .He's bringing some home for me to "Play with" and I have to see about doing some bacon.looks great .Bill [​IMG]