First Baby Backs ala' BBQ Champ's Technique

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Don't forget the applewood. I have a feeling the fruitwoods have an advantage over straight hickory.

Question for Insight...did you refrigerate while waiting for the meltdown? I'm a little nervous about leaving raw meat out for an hour like that.

Holy.....! That looks tasty.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I am trying this method this weekend. What I find a little funny about the champs is how they stress to sprinkle the rub on and not rub it, yet they then proceed to basically RUB the brown sugar on which in effect rubs the rub on.  lol.  So I really don't think it matters if you sprinkle or rub the rub on there, and packing the brown sugar on is going to rub the rub in anyway.

Question for Insight...did you refrigerate while waiting for the meltdown? I'm a little nervous about leaving raw meat out for an hour like that.
Do you not bring your meat to room temp before putting on the smoker?  I do that all the time, so my meat sits out for about an hour anyway.  The smoking/grilling process goes much better when itsa room temp meat, at least in my humble opinion.

You know, I guess you are right....I do allow the meat to come to room temp., I just never really timed it before.  LOL

I feel like an idiot for even asking the question.
icon_redface.gif

I don't believe refrigerated ribs being out only 1 hour should be a problem at all. I'm still here!!  LOL 

I am trying this method this weekend. What I find a little funny about the champs is how they stress to sprinkle the rub on and not rub it, yet they then proceed to basically RUB the brown sugar on which in effect rubs the rub on.  lol.  So I really don't think it matters if you sprinkle or rub the rub on there, and packing the brown sugar on is going to rub the rub in anyway.
Didn't look like brown sugar rubbing to me...at least what I recall from the video. Sort of a pat down and spread about thang'

A question. I would like to try and get some "color" in the meat of those great baby's I made. Would a type of marinade for a few hours give that pale white pork a "suntan" as well as additional flavor? Thanks in advance!

It may, but if you are happy with the flavor, I wouldn't worry about the color too much.  The right way to try to get that is with charcoal or other fuel type, but that's one of the trade offs with electric.   I have heard that adding a little charcoal to the smoking chips will help, but having tried it haven't seen super success.  Could rub with tenderquick to try this, but would be adding salt as well.  I'd probably leave well enough alone if you are happy with your original result.  

Ecstatic with the taste for sure, it it just the presentation that I would like to improve upon without affecting the taste. There must be a marinade that does more coloring than affecting flavor. Hope someone will chime in here so I can continue to experiment!   
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

A question. I would like to try and get some "color" in the meat of those great baby's I made. Would a type of marinade for a few hours give that pale white pork a "suntan" as well as additional flavor? Thanks in advance!
Have you tried koolaid? I used cherry on some ribs and it gave it some nice color. 

I tried them with this method last night (didn't have camera). They turned out great! I did them for a little over 4 hours @ ~225*

I want to try and use a spicier rub next time to offset some of the sweetness of the brown sugar.

I tried them with this method last night (didn't have camera). They turned out great! I did them for a little over 4 hours @ ~225*

I want to try and use a spicier rub next time to offset some of the sweetness of the brown sugar.
That should be relatively  easy.....even for me..... as a noob! Post pics, your impression... and what ya' did!

Hummm might try this tomorrow picked up a small 1/2 slab of BB ribs while buying a pork butt to smoke tomorrow they were just calling my name as i passed them now I know why LOL !! 

Hummm might try this tomorrow picked up a small 1/2 slab of BB ribs while buying a pork butt to smoke tomorrow they were just calling my name as i passed them now I know why LOL !! 
Meat calls for me all the time. The meat at Costco is especially LOUD. 

Yep, I just started with the brown sugar method Memorial Day weekend at a BBQ competition, they are tasty indeed !  I like the idea of using a "sifter" that will make a smooth coating for sure, don't like lumps (unless its charcoal)
icon_cool.gif

Scott

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky