First attempt at smoking chicken thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

h22lude

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Rhode Island
I will be attempting to smoke chicken thighs on Sunday.  I will be making my own bacon bourbon bbq sauce to put on them.  I have bone in skin on chicken thighs.

Should I let these sit in a brine for a few hours first or will they stay juicy enough?  I want to smoke them at 300 until they get to around 165 and then let them sit on the counter until getting to 170 or 175.

At what point should I add the bbq sauce?  When they are close to being done?  I will also add some as they are being taken out.

This is a good opportunity to do some experimenting and have some fun at the same time.

Try brining some, others not, apply your sauce at different times on different pieces, if possible use indirect heat and direct heat, but keep good notes on your results.

Your temps are good.

Enjoy,

Tom

Thanks everyone.  I have about 5lbs (there were on sale and couldn't say no).  I think doing some differently is a great idea.  I will probably grill some as well with no smoke to see how that turns out.

Let us know what you did and the result of each test, good and bad.  Experience being the best teacher, the results will stay with you for a long time giving you a good idea of what to do and not to do and why.  Don't worry though it will all be edible, just some will be better than the other.

Willing to share your sauce recipe?

Tom

Too bad you didn't try this s week earlier. I'm doing the same thing tomorrow. Reading about your final product would be a great help!! Good luck to you. I'll brine mine overnight. In addition,I'm also cooking some skinless, boneless breasts.

This came out great.  I had skin on some and removed the skin from others.  The skin didn't get crispy because I put the sauce on before putting them in the broiler.  Next time I will probably crisp it and then add the sauce.

I will load a picture soon.

The sauce recipe is

1/2 cup diced bacon

1/2 cup diced red onion

2 cloves garlic

1 cup ketchup

1/2 cup cider vinegar

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

1/4 cup worcestershire sauce

3 tablespoons bourbon

2 tablespoons dark molasses

2 teaspoons chili powder

1 1/2 teaspoons paprika

1 teaspoons ground mustard

sale and pepper to taste

Cook the bacon and then saute the onions and garlic in the bacon fat.  Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Let simmer until thick.

Good looking chicken and the sauce sounds great! Did you brine? Thighs are usually fine without a brine, but I like to do it anyway. I think it gives a little extra moisture and insurance against overcooking them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky