First attempt at a pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

captrichc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
So I've had a super craving for pulled pork. And what other way than smoking up a butt and making it lol. I'm  Following bears step by step instructions. I got the butt in about 40 min late, due to weather, I had to fabricate a chimney on the fly to smoke in my garage. Here are some pictures. I'm inserting the meat probe at 1140 AM EST. Then I'll go to next step. I put the meat on the rack with the fat cap on the top so as it cooks the fat will help keep the meat moist. Is that correct? 

Last edited:
Looks like a Great Start !!!

Be Back.

popcorn.gif

Bear

Ok so the update iso I had to add more hickory pellets. 1 row was about 4 hours. Didn't take into accounthe a quicker burn since I dried them. Also it was a 9 lbs butt. After 4 hrs I was at 120°. Going to foil are 160

New update temp is at 142°. Just bumped the temp to 240°. Once IT hits 160° I'll drop it into the foil pan and then cover. Only hickup so far. My AMPS jumped to the second row prematurely.

So I've had a super craving for pulled pork. And what other way than smoking up a butt and making it lol. I'm  Following bears step by step instructions. I got the butt in about 40 min late, due to weather, I had to fabricate a chimney on the fly to smoke in my garage. Here are some pictures. I'm inserting the meat probe at 1140 AM EST. Then I'll go to next step. I put the meat on the rack with the fat cap on the top so as it cooks the fat will help keep the meat moist. Is that correct? 

Now there's a man who won't be stopped from smoking! Thumbs Up

I have a foil question I'm at 153°. Do I foil tight to keep moisture in or kind of loose

Just checked it. We are at 180°. Going to finish it up in the oven. The wife is pregnant and getting hungry. Lol. Preheating the oven at 350°.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky