Firebox door gasket & adhesive..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • FireBlack125 Nomex, 800F flame proof
  • 180" x 7/8" x 1/8" (15 feet long)
  • LavaLock Ultra-Temp self stick backing
I had just ordered some of this stuff off of Amazon. I has been used by others on this site and it was like $12.50 and $4 shipping. It has good reviews.  I have an Old Country Pecos smoker I am going to seal with it. I can get you some results once I get it put on and smoke something. It does depend on what it goes on I guess! Maybe 7/8" is too wide or not enough. Hope this helps. 

• FireBlack125 Nomex, 800F flame proof
  • 180" x 7/8" x 1/8" (15 feet long)
  • LavaLock Ultra-Temp self stick backing

I had just ordered some of this stuff off of Amazon. I has been used by others on this site and it was like $12.50 and $4 shipping. It has good reviews.  I have an Old Country Pecos smoker I am going to seal with it. I can get you some results once I get it put on and smoke something. It does depend on what it goes on I guess! Maybe 7/8" is too wide or not enough. Hope this helps. 
width is not an issue, the thickness is. When I welded the hinges on I used a 5/8" thick rope gasket. What I am really wondering about is adhesive. I have a tube of Hi-Temp Permatex, concerned that it may not be able to handle the heat.

Long term, nothing is going to last on the firebox. Best to fabricate it with the tightest steel to steel seal you can get, then dont worry about a tiny bit of air leak. You really dont want to be in the middle of a cook a year from now, with hundreds of dollars worth of meat on there , and all of a sudden your firebox gasket falls off.

Long term, nothing is going to last on the firebox. Best to fabricate it with the tightest steel to steel seal you can get, then dont worry about a tiny bit of air leak. You really dont want to be in the middle of a cook a year from now, with hundreds of dollars worth of meat on there , and all of a sudden your firebox gasket falls off.
I agree with Ribwizzard on this! I was thinking more about the smoker box. I misread the thread title! I am trying to regulate heat better( another issue). Sorry about that!

I didn't have a problem until I ran the temperature up some..things twisted a bit so sadly I have no real choice, I NEED a gasket.

Can you post a pic of what your working with?
Will do, want to scrape all the old junk off first. Thinking I may cut the hinges off....again.....and move the door up against the front of the firebox and use a gasket for my Egg. The upper right hand corner is where the problem is.

Was in town all day....will take some,pictures tomorrow

Came up with a solution, I think. Had a spare Nomex gasket for the Egg. Chiseled all the old crap off. Wiped it all down with alcohol. With how I set the hinges there was enough room for the Nomex to be applied on both the door and the face of the FB. Looks like it is sealed tight. Have had a fire in it for 5 hours so far, not struggling to keep the temperature down....not saying I am controlling it....lol...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky