Fire went out over night

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tomurphjr

Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Newport News, Virginia
I started my pork shoulder on my newly bought green egg last night around 9:30. I checked the temp before I went to be at 10:30 and it was at 225 degrees. I just woke up and went to check it, and the temp was a 127 degrees!

&*#$^Q Crap!!!
I just restarted the fire to continue, but now I'm wondering if the meat is safe to eat now?

I would check the internal temp of the meat and see if it is over 140 degrees. If so it should be safe...

Personally, I would be a little leery of it having been in the danger zone between 40 and 140 from 9:30pm to 6:30am.

I always tend to lean toward safety myself...

The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing. -- John Powell

I would chalk this one up to experience, get a better plan (and a wireless thermo with alarm to set by your bed) and start over. But that's just me. The meat has been out to long and in the danger zone, and I wouldn't risk it. There is an old addage that says "when in doubt, throw it out". It usually applies.

The meat is without a doubt questionable at this point. Personally, I wouldn't risk using it at this point.

What do you think happened? I thought BGE's burn forever on little fuel.

Yep... throw it in the trash can right next to those ribs I left in the fridge a couple days too long before I smoked em and they smelled funny and the pork loin that I brought home from the grocery and found it sittin on the dining room table the next morning. Meat that doesn't reach 140 degrees internal in 4 hours or less is not safe to eat. Just a cold hard fact.

Thanks for all the replies! I threw it out shortly after i made this post. I didn't want to chance it. I went to the store and bought another one and put it on around 9:30 this morning.

I wasn't able to let the rub soak in, but i guess something is better than nothing!

Thanks for the tip! A wireless themo is the very next thing on my list to buy.

I think I closed the vents off to much. It was setting between 225-230 degrees and I closed both vents a little more to bring the temp down to around 220 degrees. Noob mistake...moving the vents a little changes things alot in the BGE I assume. I just need to use it a bit more during the day before I try and smoke somthing over night.

Again, thanks a lot for all the replies!!

I have never rubbed a butt down the night before and they all have turned out excellent. Rub it and let it sit about a half hour at room temp and throw it on. It will turn out great. I've never felt like putting the rub on right before I smoke a butt as being second best. You may be surprised.

Good to hear! I applied the rub and let it set out for about an hr. I'm ready for some good grub for dinner. I should have about 8 or so beers in me by then
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Second the wireless thermo suggestion. I have one with two probes, one for the smoke chamber (with alarm) and one for the meat. IMO it adds to the fun of smoking just watching the temps. I'm using a gas unit an it helps keep an eye on minor adjustments. Helps me determine when the temps level out.

So my wife just said:

Honey, do you not remember that my mom bought us a wireless thermo as one of our wedding gifts?

I totally forgot
icon_neutral.gif
I just hooked that sucker up and have the remote setting on the coffee table.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I have it setting in there for the chamber temp. I'll just have to go check the probe that's in the meat from time to time.

I hate to say it but I would rather throw it away then to throw up all night. Sorry bud.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky