Finishing Sauce?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ronp

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 27, 2008
I was wondering what is a good one. Being from the Midwest, (Chicago) I know these sauces are somewhat regional so, what would be appealing to a midwesterner? We typically like a sweet tomato based BBQ sauce, but what about a finishing sauce? I do love the Lone Star sauce I found here. I have some nice drppings from last night, any use for that in a finishing sauce?

In case you missed the final QVIEW from yesterday's pulled pork butt, you can check it out here.
http://smokingmeatforums.com/forums/...threadid=18590

Thanks in advance.
Ron

I smoked a 7 pound shoulder the other night and made a batch of SoFlaQuer's finishing sauce. I poured the whole thing over the pulled pork and mixed it with my hands. It was awesome! Gives a slight vinegary flavor with a touch of heat. I add Sweet Baby Ray's sauce and some horseradish to my sandwich. But I could nibble on the pulled pork all day even without any bbq sauce.

I was going to try this but where do you find this ingredient.

1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning

Thanks.

I find it at the local grocery store with the rest of the seasonings. I too, was concerned about being able to find it, but it was at the first grocery store I went to. Look for the green and white can...

SE002.gif

Thanks, I will look for it.

That is what I was wondering. I got some Mardi Gras stuff here I may try that.

Thanks,
Ron

I tried the recipe with some Mardi Gras seasoning, wifey said it was to vinegary, so I doubled the sugar and added 1 cup of drippings from the Butt I smoked over the weekend. Jury is stll out. What if one added some Lone Star BBQ sauce? Would that defeat the purpose? I guess we're just not that hip on vinegar that strong.

Thanks,
Ron

Ron,

My wife has a problem with vinegar too...she says it's for an other use LOL.
This is what I do when she is going to be eating my pulled pork. I reduce the vinegar to 1/2 cup and add apple juice and the drippings from the foil to equal 1/2 cup, rather than the 1 cup of vinegar. Then I replace the other ingredients with my rub.

That sounds good, Thanks.

I just used the cajun seasoning I have on hand. Can't be THAT much diferent? But the finishing sauce turned out great with it!

I found that out, lol.

Hey ronp100343, If u can't find the Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning let me know our store sells it all the time, small or big. send me an E-Mail if u r interested, I bought a small bottle for camping and a bigger size for home use, I'll check out the prices after your E-Mail

My wife asked me what I was cooking in the house. I said, nothing. Just then went in a realized I had the sauce on the burner, and she was outside smelling it.

Allen Said
Hey ronp100343, If u can't find the Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning let me know our store sells it all the time, small or big. send me an E-Mail if u r interested, I bought a small bottle for camping and a bigger size for home use, I'll check out the prices after your E-Mail

Thanks Allen, I haven't had the chance to look yet, that was nice of ya!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky