Finished inside meat color ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

racer47

Original poster
May 21, 2014
Hoschton Georgia
I have smoked 2 pork butts on my Traeger smoker. Both turned out with great flavor, juicy, and tender. My question is this: This weekend we had dinner with some friends and they had smoked a butt too. Again, it was great, juicy and tender. Theirs was a much lighter color of meat than mine 2 have been. His was smoked in an electric smoker, but I don't know which brand. What could have been the difference?

I have smoked 2 pork butts on my Traeger smoker. Both turned out with great flavor, juicy, and tender. My question is this: This weekend we had dinner with some friends and they had smoked a butt too. Again, it was great, juicy and tender. Theirs was a much lighter color of meat than mine 2 have been. His was smoked in an electric smoker, but I don't know which brand. What could have been the difference?
The big difference could be that yours had a lot of red--pink from the outside bark in, because his electric smoker won't get a smoke ring like yours can.

You could have had a heavier bark too.

Could also be a difference in the butts.

Bear

I have seen the inside of butts and shoulders turn out very dark to very light.  I'm always experimenting with brines and rubs but I don't attribute the color of the final product to what I did.  It's just the meat. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky