Finally started my RF trailer build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
WOW 3/8"

Who would have thought, I figured that you would have radiant heat creep into the outer door skin. But thats really cool that you got the temp results you did. Before you posted I was thinking that it would be cool to have the door gasket in the 3/8 gap, but I am not sure how well it will work since it won't really have a surface to squish against. It seems that it will want to roll out of the grove if it snags while opening and closing.

I tell ya what, your door is by far one of the nicest looking doors I have seen in a while. The shape is right on, the fit is fantastic, and the vents just top it off. Not telling you what to do or anything, but I would think about putting the flange on the inside of the firebox, let the door gasket rest on it. And leave that awesome looking door for everyone to admire.

I see alot of cool stuff but your door design is going in the memory banks for my next build.

Thank You for sharing.

I have my doubts that the rope will work as well, but I will give it a try.   Trust me when I say we are going to preserve the look of the door. 
icon_biggrin.gif
My partner in crime is going to make a trim ring to cover the gaps that has rounded corners. 

We need to buy you some gloves. I dont know if anyone else posted anything about that, but dang, your hands probably look like swiss cheese.

Plasma Cutting and Welding without any gloves.

Looking good though.

We need to buy you some gloves. I dont know if anyone else posted anything about that, but dang, your hands probably look like swiss cheese.

Plasma Cutting and Welding without any gloves.

Looking good though.
LOL  good observation.  98% of the time I have my gloves on like in the picture where I am welding the door frame.   My partner who was the one using the plasma cutter without gloves tends to misplace them and just grabs the gun and goes.  He gets impatient with my fiddling LOL

Been getting a few things done..  RF plate is in place.  Only a few welds left to seal it up.  End cap tacked on..  Most of the trim is on the doors.  Still got a bit on the firebox door.  Were going to have to custom make those pieces because we want to keep the nice round cornered look.   Did a whole lot of wire wheeling and sanding.   Shortly after these pics, we removed the smoker from the trailer so that we can get some work done to the trailer.   The trailer will be covered in alluminum diamond plate.  should look purty anyhow.

In the second picture is one of my cooks that came out to help today.  He crawled inside to give the smoker size perspective.  He is a bit over 6 feet tall and built like a linebacker.

53c01116_DSCI0973.jpg

2ecf6833_Willinsmoker.jpg

Fantastic progress.

The glove thing made me laugh. I tend to wear gloves and also a long sleeve something, shirt or jacket. I have more trouble laying a sweaty arm down and catching a good shock. But it sure is a bummer when you leave the glove behind and catch that one hot BB right between the fingers and you can't stop since its the best bead ever. 

Great work. Thanks for sharing. 

Got some work done this weekend.. Seperated the smoker from the trailer, and did a bunch of mods to the trailer. Put a new front end on with a new tongue. framed up a support for a wood base to our diamond plate. Welded the smoker saddles intot place. Did a bunch of welding and grinding on the smoker. Even tried a bit of media blasting, but the pos kept clogging. Re attached the smoker to the trailer. We should be doing more trim grinding and finishing next weekend. Hope to be painting next Monday.

DSCI0981.JPG

DSCI0987.JPG

Sure looks alot different then in the pic in the first post. What a change.

Awesome work, looking forward to see it painted.

Made a little progress today.  Got some media blasting done, Thermostat mounts installed, Prob feeds installed, Grates mostly done (3300 sq inches in the main chamber, and 1800 in the Warming box), Did a bunch of grinding ( Note to self: It takes 4 times as long to do finishing work when working with recylced materials), painted the trailer frame under the smoker, and primered most of the smoker with 2000° primer.   All in all a good day.  Hoping the weather doesnt shut us down on Monday.   I want this project on the road by end of next weekend.   We did throw a bit of propane heat in the firebox today when we got the thermostats installed.  Only took it up to 125°, but there was only a 5° split between the ends, and that was before the RF plate really warmed up.  Looking good so far!

57c1cdc1_DSCI0997.jpg

5b393e3d_DSCI0999.jpg

Last edited:
All right, you got me on the bungs. 

I firuge the two on each door is for the thremo's but whats the four in the center for?

BTW looks great!!!

All right, you got me on the bungs. 

I firuge the two on each door is for the thremo's but whats the four in the center for?

BTW looks great!!!
They are pass throughs for meat probs.  You will notice an extra two on the side of the warming box too.  Once I take care of some things I will show you how they will work =)

Well we had an indoor day. Too cold to take the monster outside, but we did get a lot of the knick nack work done. Got the vent covers on, finished the firebox door, installed the active airflow plate, installed the exhaust covers, and some other misc welding and grinding. all in all a productive day eventhough there is not a huge visable change. Here is a pic of the firebox door. We managed to get a great fit, which was a challenge when you are dealing with an insulated door.

812a19e3_DSCI1004.jpg

Great progress. I have not checked in for a few days and am amazed at how much work you guy's have accomplished.

I need to borrow your idea for the all the probe bungs.

With the shiny aluminum tread plate and some paint, this thing should look like a show piece.

Can't wait to see some smoke rolling out of it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky